Sandhills

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Was out this morning with my Lab checking my pond and I heard them. Pretty hard not to recognize their call. Yep Sandhills, about 15 of them flying east. Really unusual as we don't see too many over here. I probably havn't seen fifteen in the last 20 years. I'm going to start looking now and see if I can spot them again and get a picture or 2.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I had a flock of around a dozen trumpeter swans fly over my deer stand a couple weeks ago. That was a sight to behold. holy smokes they are big.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I had a flock of around a dozen trumpeter swans fly over my deer stand a couple weeks ago. That was a sight to behold. holy smokes they are big.
My Grandfather was born and raised in the Bitterroot Valley in Montana. He told me when he was a kid they used to shoot Trumpeter Swans and eat them . He said they were better than geese.

Reactions: buckbull

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I probably see a thousand trumpeters every fall around here. They’re so plentiful at times, it can make hunting other waterfowl difficult. I have to remind my kids to watch their shots so there’s no collateral damage

Reactions: buckbull

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
Lived in Nebraska most of my life...college in South Central Nebraska...where the Sandhills Cranes stage on their trek northward in the spring.

"Crane-watching" became a good money maker for some landowners / entrepreneurs. They are EVERYWHERE in the spring.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
There is a deer hunting area, gets sandhills in the evenings. Sounds like jurassic park. We get both local and migrant birds. Cant shoot em down here.