Sage grouse help

sigpros

Very Active Member
Aug 10, 2011
missouri
Thinking about taking a shotgun along antelope hunting this year. I've never hunted any sage grouse. What gauge and type of shell to use? Can a guy just walk some up? Thanks for any tips or help

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I took two grouse last year with 12ga #4 which is kind of my go-to shell for a lot of things. This year I'm going to try using my 22. I missed a pellet last year and chipped a tooth. Not badly, but it gave me enough incentive...

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
On the wing that's a tough shot. But if they're on the ground as they sometimes are and you have a decent 22 you can head shot them just like you'd do a squirrel or rabbit and then you have no pellets in your meat...

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I still have a large stockpile of lead shot for all of my shotguns from way back when it was legal for waterfowl, and as long as it is legal for upland game that is what I'll use. That is unless I am packing a rifle or pistol hunting something else and I happen upon a bird to shoot and it is legal to do so

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
You may not use a .22 for sage grouse in Wyoming. The .22 is legal for Huns and rabbits. Check the regs closely. I was out antelope doe hunting, and my younger partner and I had .22 handguns for rabbits and snakes (we got both). We saw some sage grouse, and almost had to tackle the guy to stop him from shooting. We drove by these on a two-track, but I have walked and flushed several also. It's tough to carry a rifle and a shotgun though if you are hunting on foot.

Reactions: THelms

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
One thing that everyone needs to do when headed to do a out of state hunt is to get all the guide books of what you plan to hunt and read up on them.

In Colorado you can use just about anything to hunt upland game including the kitchen sink but if using a shotgun it needs to be plugged. But sage grouse are considered a migratory bird so only a shotgun on them Now go next door to Utah and any of the birds you have to use a shotgun and it doesn't need to be plugged. No center fire or rim fire rounds allowed.

You can't just take thing for granted anymore when you head out of state.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you can walk them up but if you're going to be hunting antelope just keep your eyes peeled for the birds and get on them by chance... should be plenty of opportunity that way. As for a gun, I've taken them with everything from a .410 with 6's to a 12 gauge with 5's... being grouse they are not particularly tough to bring down. A good go to would be a 12 or 20 shooting 6's... think pheasants and you'll do just fine.

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
Having never shot a sage grouse i have a question for anyone. Are they a dark meat like sharptails or light like ruffy's?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Many years ago we used to shoot them in California near Mammoth in the High Sierras. I don't really remember, but seems like the meat was dark. I do remember that they were not really great eating, kinda tough and sagey flavored. It was about 60 years ago, so my memory might be a little off....LOL! I probably was expecting pheasant.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Dark meat and if you get a big rooster just make soup out of him.

I have actually passed on some the first time out because of their size hopping to find some young ones

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Dark meat and if you get a big rooster just make soup out of him.

I have actually passed on some the first time out because of their size hopping to find some young ones
Make soup out of the old tough ones, no need to add sage. The old "Bombers" are OK ground up, seasoned and made into jerky. I wouldn't try to roast one. A tennis shoe is a bit more tender. As far as I know, you can shoot either Blue or Ruffed grouse with a handgun or rifle, .22 or centerfire.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Many years ago we used to shoot them in California near Mammoth in the High Sierras. I don't really remember, but seems like the meat was dark. I do remember that they were not really great eating, kinda tough and sagey flavored. It was about 60 years ago, so my memory might be a little off....LOL! I probably was expecting pheasant.
Spot on... not the best table fare but I make a steak sandwich out of them using Ree Drummond's recipe and they are good that way.

Reactions: shootbrownelk