Rumor?

Adam

Eastmans' Staff / Forum Administrator
Feb 8, 2011
Rumor has it that the final New Mexico bill on the new percentages (Resident, Nonresident Guided, Nonresident DIY) has changed to 84%/10%/6%. That would be 16% of the tags to nonresidents - down from the current 22%, but up from the proposed 10% total. So for you DIY guys, you might end up getting 6% rather than the proposed 2%. Thoughts?

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
I think it sucks but what can you do as a non-resident? The guide lobbies are fighting hard to keep their system in place, the residents want more tags, unguided non-residents don't have a voice, so they are who is going to keep taking the hit. It is still nice to have a state out there that is a straight lotto without preference points, though.

My question is on the timing of all this - I'm assuming its starting for the 2012 draw? Or will it affect the draws this year?

huntscout

Mar 1, 2011
www.huntscout.com
This will be the year to draw.... It is a shame that they are dedicating more tags to guided hunters than DIY hunters. All non-residents should be in the same pool.... Take what we can get I guess!!!

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
I've sent a number of emails and the reps have seemed willing to listen before they made their votes. Lets hope for the best (unless your a NM resident).

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
I've sent a number of emails and the reps have seemed willing to listen before they made their votes. Lets hope for the best (unless your a NM resident).
There is no "best" alternative, unless the governor removes the outfitter welfare stipulation prior to signing it.

COLOelkman

Mar 12, 2011
Lakewood, CO
My understanding is that they will also require a small game lisc. purchase plus app fees and they won't have any points. If this holds, the odds vs the price is not worth it to me. I assume odds might be better as I think many will drop out also. If they had a points system where you'd eventually draw, then it's be more like many other states and I'd go for that but I'd haven't heard that's ever been considered. I'd speculate if that happens, that might also bring more hunters to CO which doesn't exite me either but we'll see how things turn out.

dead river

Mar 20, 2011
NC
That is dissapointing. In trying to force promotion of local economic prospertiy, we continue to pass laws that push us closer and closer to hunting being a sport for the rich and elite. It is unfortunate that much of the federal lands are allowed to be managed with regulations that so heavily favor residency status. However, I fundamentally agree with the lack of preference points. Point creep is legitimate problem. I applaud NM for it remaining a random chance, fair law that does not promote a sense of entitlement because someone has already applied 5 times, or 10 or 3...

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Turn out the lights...the party's over....its seems that all....good things must come to an end....

Odds just got a lot worse. It will be interesting to see what this does for land owner tag inflation. I don't get the all cow tags go to residents thing, I guess NR are only coming to NM for the horns...

c-ne-elk

Mar 10, 2011
The thing that amazes me is how most of the residents I have talked to think this is a GREAT thing. Most residents do not realize how few tags they are really getting out of this process compared to the number of resident applicants. Many of the quality units that have a total of say 100 tags may have 1,000 or more resident applicants. So if 10% of the tags went to non-residents without guides (10 tags) under the old system and the new system has 2% or 6% depending how it ends up, there are now about 4 more tags in this unit for the 900 or so residents that did not draw.

Will this make the residents happy? No.

Will reducing the non-resident quota make non-residents happy? Hell no! We have so few tags reducing the number makes it virtually impossible to draw a diy tag.

I constantly hear residents say the non-residents have all the tags, that while hunting all they see are non-resident vehicles. Look at the facts guys, residents have 78% of the tags! THE DIFFERENCE is in the land owner tags. Yes, mainly non-residents purchase them BUT they are not for non-residents only. A resident can buy them too, some residents just choose not to. But I personally know several residents that buy land owner cow tags every year if they do not draw a tag.

As a non-resident that lives 3 miles from the NM state line, I have been unable to draw any type of elk tag in NM for the last 8 years, not even a cow tag. Reducing the number of NR tags will be the last straw as far as I am concerned.

What this is doing is building a stronger wall between the non-resident hunter against the resident hunter in the State of New Mexico which is a bad deal to ever have our ranks divided.

walleyed

Feb 22, 2011
Central MN
I have tried the last 5 years to draw a tag and no luck I think I ve had enough fun and will give it up. You cant even draw an archery tag there any more.

Mrelite

Feb 28, 2011
New Mexico
c-ne-elk, Most residents understand the ramifications of this bill and are not as stupid as you have implied.

Reducing the NR quota to 16% is not screwing the NR over, especially compared to other states! the problem is the NR pool is segregated by financial ability. Many NM residents really believe the NR pool should be an equal opportunity draw just as a majority of DIY NR's do.

We have a system that has been broken for years and it will take years to fix it, you have to start somewhere! doing nothing fixes nothing and that pertains to all invested parties!

Would any of you been okay with an 85/15 split, all NR's equal? if the answer is yes then you have work to do!

nebowhunter

Mar 10, 2011
Northeast Nebraska
I don't blame residents for wanting more tags, I'm sure it is frustrating to residents to not get a tag in their home state. On the flipside most of these states have large tracks of National forest that were set aside for residents of all 50 states, and are funded by all 50 states. Now you are telling me the state decides that I have an even less of a chance at hunting than i did before. Same with Wyoming telling me I cannot hunt a wilderness area without a guide. I can backpack as far as I want into this area and birdwatch but I can't go into this area and hunt. This is a hard one for me to swallow. Fedral land and the outfitter association in that state can keep me from hunting in that area. Something wrong with the whole situation. I have hunted with a guide and Its just not my thing. I would rather do it all on my own and not fill my tag. I will still be more personally satisfied, Its what I enjoy the most personal satifaction with the hunt not the kill.

llp

Mar 15, 2011
Mrelite,

I don't believe you have any interest in the 85/15 split. Your group, UBNM, led the charge to get legislation passed, and tried to snooker NR to support UBNM at their own peril. I would applaud a 85/15 split, with all NR in one pool, but I have no faith in you or UBNM leading this effort.

B

Mrelite

Feb 28, 2011
New Mexico
llp, You believe what you want, but your facts are not correct.

The UBNM had nothing to do with proposing SB196, once we knew this bill was going to be introduced we actively behind the scenes begin injecting what we thought to be issues with the bill, we did however openly support the bill in it's proposed form which was 90/10 no set aside pool for guided NR's. Behind the scenes everyone knew it was just a starting point in the negotiating process. The UBNM and many other residents were more than happy to end up with an 85/15 split and an all equal NR pool, Senator Munoz did everything he could to make the best out of an unwilling outfitter coalition and a small group of sympathetic but savvy Senators.

You are 100% correct! we pushed for success during the legislation process, would you expect anything less from a bunch of bow hunters? The guy's at the UBNM are mostly DIY common resident bow hunters who would also be DIY NR's in other states, we have strong ties to many DIY NR's and they were always in the conversation at our meetings and our endless e-mail discussions. At this point you may never know the full extent of our support for the DIY NR but that's cool, we did what we could without your support and we are okay with that. I can tell you for sure if the DIY NR would have jumped on board we would have had a different outcome, we needed your help but many of you refused claiming we were out to screw you over. Even though you would not support us we still have intentions of creating an all equal NR pool and yes 85/15 would be great in our opinion, we have 2 years to the next legislation.

llp, I have to ask even though I know the answer, What effort have you done for getting an all equal NR pool? that's what I thought, you have done absolutely nothing to further your cause! The UBNM has put more effort out for DIY NR's then any NR out there! what do we get for it? Nothing! we do it because it is the right thing to do. If you like to hunt NM you should help, if you are still young then that is all the more reason to help and if your are my age then help for the future, whatever you do do something positive.

JP, UBNM Treasurer