Ruby's mountain goats

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Here's some pics of the mountain goat we saw while deer hunting. It was encouraging to see all the kids with the nannies for the future of the herd. The goats came around the peak on the right in the first pic. We watched the 2 billys rolling and kicking dirt on themselves. They certainly didn't mid the howling wind and fridgid temp. We were so close that we could see the fur rippling in the wind.
Maybe I will draw this tag before I die.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Several years ago we visited Ruby Mts, specifically Ft, Ruby ruins as my Great Grandfather was stationed there during the Civil War. I took my spotting scope and saw a few. Really a cool place. He was also a pioneer in Austin.

conibear

Oct 15, 2017
Mountain Goats in sagebrush, I've now seen it all. :) This is cool, I didn't know there were goats down there. I think a combo hunt of Mountain Goat-Himalayan Snowcock is not unreasonable, I might apply this year and draw it. LOL

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Mountain Goats in sagebrush, I've now seen it all. :) This is cool, I didn't know there were goats down there. I think a combo hunt of Mountain Goat-Himalayan Snowcock is not unreasonable, I might apply this year and draw it. LOL
They might be in sagebrush but they are still at about 9500 to 10,000 feet in elevation.
That sagebrush "hill" the goats are on is the peak on the right in this pic.
We also found some leg bones from a few years ago of a goat that a hunter left along with his tent and empty fuel canisters at about 9,000' under a tree. They are much more stout that any deer legs bones I have ever seen. I guess he figured once he had his goat he wouldn't bother packing out his tent or trash.

Last edited:

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City
Use to be at the top of those mountains every August, one time I was looking over some bucks about a thousand feet down to see if they we worth it. Heard a crunch and looked to my left, two goats walked within 5yds of the rock I was laying on( thermals where strong). Never forget that experience.