Rifle Project Complete- pics included.

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
I'm all done with my DIY work one my Winchester M70 30-06. Glass bedded the action, strengthened and inletted the forend for a free float, took the trigger down to 2 lbs, painted the stock, and topped it with a VX3 3.5-10x50 with the M1 turret. I can't believe how well it shoots. 3 shot groups at 100 have been 2 in the same hole with one about 1/4" outside. Haven't even shot it out of a vice yet.

I'm really impressed with the turret system. The other day I crushed a softball sized rock at 640 yds first try. Today I whacked this coyote at 466.

Here is the rifle before (earlier this year).

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
Thanks. It's actually just the original factory stock that you see in the last photo. I inletted it, bedding it, and then did a nice rattle can paint job using fishnet stockings as a pattern. Figured I'd try to make the factory stock shoot before dropping the dough on a custom. Worked out well.

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
Have at it! Here are some more close ups of the paint job. I used some of that flat Krylon camo spray paint, tan and olive drab. It doesn't look that great until you finish it with a few coats of satin clear coat. I also did the stock on my Rem. 870. Started with a few coats of olive, then strips of masking tape after it dried, then put the fishnet stocking over and hit it with tan. Once dry I pealed off the tape to reveal the olive camo, then finished with clear coat.

And... this was my first 3 shot 100 yd. group with the rifle. I've actually tightened it up even more by seating my bullets a touch shallower.

870 paint

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Love the paint job! Great idea. Also that is my favorite scope. I have the same on three of my guns as well and had the custom shop install drop turrets on all of them caliber specific as well as temp, and elevation. They work great!! I really
Ike the gage paint too.