Resident Preference Points for Deer, Elk and Antelope??

NE69

Jan 6, 2013
Southwest Nebraska
X2 on what CC said. If I was a resident, I would fight it every way I could. Point system looks pretty good till you draw your first tag, then your on the outside looking in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Yeah. Residents deserve better than that; yikes.

I guess I'm curious what's the problem this would fix? Maybe I shouldn't assume things either...lol

Someone from the Cowboy State will shed more light on this...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
I have already emailed my rep, Bill Haley, I think he may be on the bill. Told him no way and he stated he wants to hear from his folks in Albany County. Send him an email:Bill.Haley@wyoleg.gov

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Yeah. Residents deserve better than that; yikes.

I guess I'm curious what's the problem this would fix? Maybe I shouldn't assume things either...lol

Someone from the Cowboy State will shed more light on this...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk
Plain & simple....MONEY! If this is passed, they won't just give you points. Look at what NR's have to pay for points.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
I have already emailed my rep, Bill Haley, I think he may be on the bill. Told him no way and he stated he wants to hear from his folks in Albany County. Send him an email:Bill.Haley@wyoleg.gov
Yes, Haley is on the bill. Here are the sponsors: Representative(s) Sweeney, Barlow, Brown, Duncan, Haley, Harshman, Henderson, Loucks and Paxton and Senator(s) Anselmi-Dalton and Bebout

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
I think this is complete garbage. All this is coming from a guy in a suit and tie that sits behind a desk all day that’s never hunted a day in his life brainstorming on how to increase income to the state. If I was a resident I would be voicing my opinion very loudly on this one. Pretty soon people won’t be able to afford to hunt. It’s become such a big money game.

Mnbogboy

Aug 19, 2018
Hibbing, MN
There are residents in Wyoming that do not draw year after year where others do. To take the "bad" luck out from pure random draw, it has been said before to give them preference for their past draw results. These records are already on electronic file and simple programming changes would an should cost nothing to the residents or the state. Would not change resident quotas. Most important it would not change their theoretical odds but actually guarantee the resident those dodds. This should only be objectional to the "super lucky" but not to those that are not successful year after year.
This would not be a "buy" point preference system. But rather draw preference for those unlucky the year before.
This is what I heard before and can't say if it would be fair or not, especially in a state like WY where the outfitter lobby is so powerful.

NE69

Jan 6, 2013
Southwest Nebraska
Nebraska started a point system for residents a few years ago. Doesn?t cost anything but it sure cost me. 2 years ago I applied for elk, deer and antelope. 2 weeks later my credit card showed a credit from NG&P. This was after the apply time had closed. When I called and asked about it, they said there was problems with the system and I hadn?t got entered in the draws. They didn?t know why, but it meant I was one behind the elk points so that means I will never draw an elk tag in my home state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mnbogboy

Aug 19, 2018
Hibbing, MN
And how, may I ask, do you know this? When NR's are paying a lot for point, do you really think the Legislature would not tap into the resident pool also?
As I said I don't know. They have all they need to institute it for free. It wouldn't be fair to WY residents if they did it any other way. I guess it all depends on who's pockets will be getting filled. My suggestion is to contact your representative and "feel" him out.
I hunt WY almost every year and know what a rat race the NR point system is. I'm in no-mans land with elk points (9) now and with point creep see that I may die before I draw or will burn them on a general unit. I feel your pain if they do indeed institute the same system.

Conrad8899

Oct 15, 2011
Casper Wy
Residents that don't want elk deer and antelope preference point need send emails to there representatives to get this bill stopped

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
One of my main concerns is related to new hunter recruitment. If young people don't get in on the ground floor of the PP system, they will get far behind in points. Not good for new hunter recruitment.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Just my opinion but if it works right where you only need one or two points to draw a tag and it stays pretty much that way then I wouldn't see a problem. But it would also work this way if once a person drew a tag they had to sit out one or two years before they could apply for that tag again.

Big game hunting is turning into a mess in all the states. With more and more people wanting to hunt with the same amount of tags offered. I can see where a lucky person could draw a tag every year with another person just sitting on the sidelines waiting for the same tag. There is no good solution that everyone is going to like.

As for lucky people I know a hunter in Utah that drew every one of the once in a lifetime hunts in Utah. With all of the tags drawn before Utah went to the point system that they use He also completed a grand slam of North American sheep. Very few people can say that they have done anything similar.

Triple BB

Jun 22, 2013
Wyoming
Always interesting to see how non residents feel its their right to manage anything hunting in Wyoming.

As long as a decent percentage of the tags go random draw, I'm all for it. In fact, I'll be writing my reps asking them to support the bill...

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
Always interesting to see how non residents feel its their right to manage anything hunting in Wyoming.

As long as a decent percentage of the tags go random draw, I'm all for it. In fact, I'll be writing my reps asking them to support the bill...
I predict you'll be in a minority.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
This would not be a "buy" point preference system. But rather draw preference for those unlucky the year before.
We already have a "buy" preference point system for sheep and moose, why would elk or deer be any different? At one time many years ago I was a proponent of the point system but have now realized what a flawed system it is particularly for those who don't get on the list the first year.