Resident PP Bill.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
I don't have a horse in this race, but one thing I have definitely noted about 20 years of point games. The politicians love to sell points, then 5-10 years later screw those who bought them by devaluing them via "rule changes". The list of states is endless. The way to screw the early investors is endless. And the politicians love to devise new ways to water down the value in an effort to get new ground floor investors' fresh money. Politicians love the smell of fresh money over old money.

In my 20 years of point buying, the only states that have not devalued my points were Arizona & New Hampshire. That is it. The worst case was Maine, where after 6 years they started peddling 10 point packs for $50 or something to newbies. Talk about cutting in line! I sure hope New Mexico does not go to any point system.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
In MT, the rule change greatly aided early investors. Originally points only slightly increased your odds, but now those same points are squared.

canvsbk

Apr 8, 2012
Michigan
I also have no dog in this fight but I find it disturbing that we have to discuss politicians and big game stuff in the same conversation. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN

Wyohunter

Mar 6, 2012
No thanks, leave the system alone. The most "fair" system is a totally random draw.
How is the random draw the most "fair"??? I used to put in for an elk area that had favorable draw odds but never once drew a tag out of that area but there were a few people that I know of that drew the same tag every single year. The only people that would think that this would be fair are the people who just happen to draw the tag every year and even some of those people would consider that unfair. A preference point system will give everybody a chance to hunt every couple of years if you stay on top of points and application dates. If that does not work for some people because the are simple minded forgetful people then they don't really want to hunt that bad.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
How is the random draw the most "fair"??? I used to put in for an elk area that had favorable draw odds but never once drew a tag out of that area but there were a few people that I know of that drew the same tag every single year. The only people that would think that this would be fair are the people who just happen to draw the tag every year and even some of those people would consider that unfair. A preference point system will give everybody a chance to hunt every couple of years if you stay on top of points and application dates. If that does not work for some people because the are simple minded forgetful people then they don't really want to hunt that bad.
A pure random draw is the very definition of fair. How much more fair can you get than everyone having the same random chance as everyone else? What you experienced is just bad luck, over a lifetime of drawing, you will most likely draw that tag just as often as everyone else.

What wouldn't be fair, is when your state starts a preference point system for residents, and then 15 years down the road, you have a kid thats ready to hunt, but, he or she will never draw a good tag, because they are 15 years behind the point game.

HayHay98

May 22, 2012
Wyoming
A preference point is badly needed in WY for residents for elk, deer, and antelope. This legislation still allows for 25% of tag quota to be issued for a random draw. So that meets your idea of "fairness". 75% then is issued in the preference point system. If you look throughout the state at draw odds, most "Blue Chip" areas could be drawn in a 5 year window. This would allow guys to better plan their hunts and be assured an opportunity to hunt this area, should they choose. Their is ample opportunity to still hunt elk, deer, and antelope through 2nd and 3rd choice as well as reduced price tags. This allows for people hunt, put meat in the freezer, and build points for a future "trophy" hunt. I agree and have experienced first hand how true luck plays a role in getting opportunities to hunt. But I also was rewarded for putting in 16 years of applying/buyings points and being afforded an opportunity to hunt a trophy species. This legislation helps provide opportunities for those not as "lucky" and again boils down to all of us working hard to contribute time and dollars towards habitat and animal conservation that ultimatley puts more critters on the mountain and more tags/hunts available. I support this legislation 100%.

canvsbk

Apr 8, 2012
Michigan
As a nonresident it is pretty handy to be able to know when and where you should be able to draw a tag. Frustrating sometimes to actually know the pretty much predetermined outcome but much better for makeing plans. I can see the advantages when I think about it a bit. Any change in what you may be accustomed to most likely won't be welcome at first blush.

SouthernWyo

Mar 11, 2011
It is the most fair because everyone has exactly the same chance at a license. No one "deserves" a license, no matter how many times they've played the game. Just because someone doesn't draw a tag that they want, it doesn't make the system unfair. It's pretty simple, with a random draw, everyone is on a level playing field, the same chance as everyone else, every year.

Wyohunter

Mar 6, 2012
It is the most fair because everyone has exactly the same chance at a license. No one "deserves" a license, no matter how many times they've played the game. Just because someone doesn't draw a tag that they want, it doesn't make the system unfair. It's pretty simple, with a random draw, everyone is on a level playing field, the same chance as everyone else, every year.
You are right, nobody "deserves" a tag. However, the way the system is currently set up it is quite possible that a Person could apply for thirty years and never draw the tag but the same persons neighbor can solely and receive the same tag every one of the same thirty years. The people who make the laws can clearly see that this no matter how you add it up "is not fair". That is why , like it or not, Wyoming will be changing to a residents point system. For those of you that are worried about point creep, there is no need to be worried. The only places that points will creep are the areas that are extremely hard to draw, but with wyomings elk, deer and antelope populations there are not many of those areas.

SouthernWyo

Mar 11, 2011
The only people that can't draw a tag in 30 years are the people putting in for tags with draw odds less than 5%. The only people drawing tags 30 years in a row are those that are hunting exclusively in general areas. Let's be a little more realistic. The truth is that the vast majority of resident hunters pull a limited tag for one species or another every few years at most, unless they are holding out for a unit/hunt with extremely poor odds. The units that can't be drawn in 20+ years will take even longer with a preference point system, they will become at best, once in a lifetime (or possibly never). The units that will take 2-3 years to draw with points can now be drawn every 2-3 years if not more often.

I think you are right about one thing, sooner or later, there will be a resident points system, but I don't think it has anything to do with what's right or fair, more likely who makes the most noise.

Ilovethewest

Jul 11, 2012
Wisconsin
I too have no "skin" in this game outside of me and my family from Wisconsin hunting Wyoming our entire lives, my late grandfather starting in the 50's. I love the state of Wyoming as much as I love my home state of WI. I think residents of WY are the ones for the input on this one.

I do however understand, but am disappointed on the tag increases for us nonresidents. It does make it harder and harder for a "DIY public land" guy like me to keep forking over more and more to participate in the sport I love (hunting) in one of the most beautiful states in the US of A (Wyoming).

Thats all I have to say on the topic. :)

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
Curious as to which draw is more "fair", the Special or the Regular?
If this passes, you'll be getting both.

Then there's that real beauty of legislation, the points transfer. A real buffoon thought that up that one.

HayHay98

May 22, 2012
Wyoming
Hold on guys. You're starting to talk about 2 different bills. Senate File 85 is the bill, currently passed reading in the Senate and now in the House, that deals with establishing a Resident Preference Point system. House Bill 124 is legislation that deals with transfer of preference points from a family member to another direct family member. From what I've heard among sportsmen and legislators, the House Bill 124 is gaining no traction and is most likely not going to go anywhere. Senate File 85 is moving along and will most likely get voted on. I absolutely do NOT support HB124!!! You are asking for some really raw and unethical practice here. I do support Senate File 85 as previously discussed. I think there is a tremendous amount of good dialogue, for and against, in this thread. I really appreciate all of you who weigh in on these issues, both in state and out of state. Unlike a lot of Washington politicians, I feel its good food for thought to always listen to opposing views. Its the best way to always lea

Stig87

Apr 14, 2011
Wyoming
A preference point system would be excellent. Have one friend who has drawn one bull elk tag in over 30 years of applying (for a less than premier area). I don't think it's right that some people seem to draw the same tags year after year while others have difficulty, and this is coming from somebody who has been fortunate in the lottery system.

wyghost_town

Jan 22, 2013
Wyoming
I support resident preference points. In a 13 year span I drew 5 any elk tags for a premium area known for big bulls. During that same time period, my close buddy drew 1 any elk tag. Now how fair is that? This point system will assure that everyone gets to draw approximately the same number of tags over a certain time period, given all applicants apply the same or don't draw in the 25% random draw.