Relocation to Hotchkiss, CO (North Fork Valley) advice

MtnBuck

Apr 4, 2016
Aurora, Colorado
I *will* be moving out of the City this spring and one of the areas I'm considering is Hotchkiss. I work from home so employment is not an issue.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read the valley has similar weather to Denver, maybe more snow?

It seems that most daily goods (food, misc.) can be bought locally, but there's not much in the way of home repair/hardware locally? I tend to do a lot of home/shop projects...will that require going into Delta or Grand Junction constantly?

Is the economy mostly agriculture now?
Is there any tourism?

How fast is the area growing?

I've never been through this part of Colorado so any insight is appreciated.
Especially what you like or don't like about the area and your thoughts on the hunting/fishing in the immediate vicinity. Thanks in advance.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Delta is definitely closer than GJ. I really don't know a comparison on the weather. Blue Mesa Res is the largest in Colorado and fishing for Kokanee & Lake trout can be great and it is not too far away. You would be pretty much between Gunnison and grand mesa for hunting.

Why did you zero in on Hotchkiss?

lostinOregon

Mar 12, 2013
Canby OR
The area is very depressed due to the coal mine issues. Agriculture is number one in the area. Hotchkiss would not be in my radar. I would take a trip out there and stop in Pannonia also. Lots of marijuana and hippie types. It's beautiful but I would head toward delta or montrose.

Rich

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
If you want to relocate to Colorado, what are you looking for? Small town, climate, hunting/fishing, do you have kids...schools, lots of questions.

My wife and I spent 20 years looking for a place to retire to. We had lived all our lives in California and knew we wanted a different lifestyle when we retired. We visited every state west of the Rocky Mts. We settled on SW Colorado.

If you want to discuss more, PM me.

MtnBuck

Apr 4, 2016
Aurora, Colorado
CC,

Yep, we want to be closer to the outdoors and away from the big city hussle. Colder than Denver is fine, but would rather avoid Leadville level cold. No kids to worry about.

The North Fork valley caught my attention for being a beautiful area with relatively mild weather for the region. I've been looking at a bunch of other places including SW Colorado as well. The wifey really wants to be within a half day drive of Denver though.

LIO,

Why the preference for Delta/Montrose? I should have mentioned that I won't be living in a town. I'll be looking for a small piece of paradise to call my own. 2-5 acres will be enough, but I'm not against a bigger spread by any means.

Thanks for the info so far. Please keep it coming.

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Montrose is pretty big town and growing. I have 6 acres. I was vacant land with irrigation shares. We designed and worked with a contractor to build our home. There are lots of places that have seasonal irrigation water that really opens your options. I have 5 shares of water (from May 1 to Oct 15) that allows me to have a 2 acre pond (stocked with bass, crappie, bluegill & channel cats) and keep all my property green. Yes I have to mow, but that's not too bad. My irrigation water cost me about $250.00 a year. Property is still pretty reasonable here. There is a 3 acre parcel with 2 shares of water that is listed for $63,000. Our county (Montezuma) has an ordinance that has a minimum parcel size of 3 acres. Elevation is 6800'.

House from pond, looking N.jpgHouse from  pond, NW view.jpgDad fishing June 08.JPG

Water availability was very important to me when we were buying land.

Last edited:

sheephunter

Jan 29, 2012
Colorado
I see patients from Hotchkiss regularly (I work in a specialty private practice group in Grand Junction). My take on folks who live there is older generations were mostly farming/ranching oriented. Newer people there ("newer" being relative, like last 20-25 yrs or so), my take is there are lots of "trust-funders" & hippy types, that for the most part want to do their own thing and be left alone. I'm sure there is a lot of marijuana activity, both legal as well as otherwise.
If you're concerned about shopping, Montrose is closer than Grand Junction and I would say has almost as much in that regard.
In addition to the mentioned Blue Mesa area, Hotchkiss is also right on the way to The Raggeds/Kebler Pass area...gets hunted pretty hard but still an absolutely beautiful area.
I would probably live there if the opportunity came up.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
We also looked at Cedaredge, which is just west of Hotchkiss. Nice small town, liked it a lot. Just couldn't find the "right" piece of property. I have several friends that live there. Right on the southern edge of Grand Mesa.

I actually like Montrose better than grand Junction. I think the summers are a little cooler in Montrose also. GJ can get a little hot, not uncommon to reach 100 during the summer.

Last edited:

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
Look into Craig, my brother is looking at selling his 25 acre place with a house and barn. It's 23 miles north of town and all alone. You can do anything you'd like out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lostinOregon

Mar 12, 2013
Canby OR
IMG_1149.jpg

I have a good friend who lives between Delta and Cedaridge. I think it is one of the most beautiful places around. Weather toward Delta and Montrose isn't as severe as other places. Cedaridge is also very nice. I guess I just don't like the vibe of Hotchkiss or Paoinia. Lots of small out of the way places in CO that I would live for sure.

Rich

hoshour

Veteran member
Man, CC - that really looks nice. Our water& sewer bill in town here is $130/month for the two of us! I miss having a well and septic.

Sounds like prices are better there than where my cousin is at near Buena Vista and Salida, another beautiful area, though hunting is not as good.

I used to go by Montrose pretty often but I haven't been there since 1984.. Should have bought some acreage back then.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
My domestic water bill is between 35 & 40 a month. I am on my own septic system. Actually col is not to bad here. My electric is co-op and runs about 130.00 a month average. We don't need a/c, so that helps. Propane is about 100 average. I have a boiler and in floor heat and a pellet stove, so winter heating is cheaper too. Colorado has a program for seniors that helps with property taxes. If you are 65 and have lived in your house for 10 years, you get 100,00 off you assessed value of your primary residence for tax purposes.

We have been here 16 1/2 years and Montrose has grown a lot. Don't know the current population, but it wouldn't surprise me if it hasn't doubled in that time.

We spent a lot of time looking around here in Colorado and love where we are. As far as I'm concerned, anything east of the continental divide is out of the question...too damn many people! Small town living has downsides too. Limited shopping, less medical service options, less entertainment (sports, concerts, cultural, etc), but the benefits of country living more than offsets this.

MtnBuck

Apr 4, 2016
Aurora, Colorado
Happy new year everyone! Sorry for the slow reply.

CC,

I love your property. How much time do you put into maintaining the pond? The wife loves the idea of a pond.

I've read a little about water shares, but still trying to figure that all out. Here in the city during winter our water runs $45 month and electric/gas is $200. Summer time water is $175 (grass) and electric/gas is about the same. A/C. Heat pump and furnace. Property taxes are over $4K.

Finding the right property for a good price will be the priority for us as well. So many areas and towns to check out and so little time. Cedaredge is on the radar. Montrose is nice from what I've seen. Any place hot like GJ is definitely out.

Gpysumreaper,

Sent you a PM. Thanks.

lostinOregon,

Thanks for the insight. We should be making a trip to the area in the next few weeks. I'll report back on what the wife thinks of the vibe. :)

Sheephunter,

Thanks for the input. My wife likes to have a good circle of friends so I do worry about being outsiders. It's nice that Montrose is closer. I don't know how the shopping compares to GJ, but it's a prettier area for a day trip.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Our irrigation season runs from about May 1 to Oct 15. I run water into the pond from the irrigation ditch 24/7 during that time. I pump all my outside water for agricultural use (lawn, flowers, trees & garden) from the pond. The pond is about 2 acres and 15' deep at the dam, so it holds lots of water. Historically this whole area was hay ranches and orchards. Our irrigation company is shareholder owned and over 100 years old. We hold title to water rights in this area. All over Colorado you will see fields irrigated from these type water rights. Ask the realtor you pick about agricultural irrigation availability. Down here sometimes shares become available and go for about 5K per share. 5 shares came deeded with my property.

In the spring I get all my hoses, sprinklers and other stuff out and get ready for the season. I usually water some part of the property everyday. I move sprinklers everyday. I usually mow once a week. I have a big riding mower and it takes me about 6 hours mowing.

Property down here is quite a bit less than around Montrose & Cedaredge. There is a 3 acre parcel with 2 shares of water for sale about 1/2 mile from me, listed for $63k. It is on a rural county gravel road with all utilities available at the property line. Probably about average (20K/acre) for irrigated land around here.

Good luck in your search.

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
Should you decide to move south I will be selling my place on the Conejos. Only 25 feet from the national forest,you can walk to elk, bear and trophy mile deer. Antelope available too, did I mention fishing? Can be turn key with purpose built Gran Cherokee, two sled trailor and three snow machines. Two story cabin/house with large loft and two master bedrooms. Two heat sources and all glass facing south. Heated garage. Approx 1900 ft. El 8700ft. Priced below appraisal

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Should you decide to move south I will be selling my place on the Conejos. Only 25 feet from the national forest,you can walk to elk, bear and trophy mile deer. Antelope available too, did I mention fishing? Can be turn key with purpose built Gran Cherokee, two sled trailor and three snow machines. Two story cabin/house with large loft and two master bedrooms. Two heat sources and all glass facing south. Heated garage. Approx 1900 ft. El 8700ft. Priced below appraisal
Very nice area......