Region A, Units 1,2 & 3 Mule Deer

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
I will be applying for a Mule Deer NR hunt in Region A for 2021. I have searched the forum for information but find non. The current regs allow a lot of tags. Just looking for general information please. This will be my first Mule Deer hunt as I am a Whitetail hunter from Mississippi.
Thanks in advance.
Mr. D

Last edited:

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
I have hunted area 2 for 30 years...but always for whitetails. There are a lot of whitetails on Forest Service property, but not many mule deer. To find mule deer, you need to get off the Forest and into more open country...either private or BLM. I am not saying there aren't any mule deer on Forest Service property but they are rare...I'd say 95% whitetails and 5% mule deer.

This raises a question: Much of this is excellent whitetail country...so why go there to hunt mule deer?

Reactions: shootbrownelk
HIghplainsdrifter is correct in fact that not many mule deer on the forest service. Quite a bit of public land has mule deer but you will need to be mobile and willing to get out and away from the FS or know of some pockets to be successful. feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions.

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
I have an invitation to hunt private land in 2021 in Region A if I draw a tag. Yes there are Whitetails and I would not rule one out if the right one. I hunted the Ekalaka area on private land a few years back and ended up with a decent Whitetail. I really would like to kill a decent Muley as I hunt Whitetails here in Mississippi. I do not know the exact area at this time.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I hunted region A for antelope - saw a lot of muley does and a couple forks and one I'd shoot in a heartbeat - never got a good look at his rack, just his body. Also seen a jumbo WT buck crossing from private to public - NT rack, big boy. Another shoot him in a heartbeat kind of buck. You'l be in an area w plenty of deer - just set realistic expectations and enjoy the trip.

Good luck!

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
Thanks for the replies. As I get closer to my hunt and find out more about a specific area I may ask some questions.

Flash

Dec 31, 2020
I hunted area A the 2020 season and did not fill my tag I saw at least a hundred deer and passed on a number of whitetail bucks but only spotted one muley and it was a doe, I did see 3 elk though, I will apply for 2021 but in a different area,private land would be your best bet good luck, I had no luck securing permission and I went in August to scout and ask

Reactions: Rich M