Region A Deer Tags

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
Do they generally sell out?

I see that there were nearly 700 tags leftover last year. I've wanted to hunt this area for a while, and might combine it with my SE MT deer hunt this year if I fill my MT tag early and there are still tags available.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Seems like I remember from past years lots of leftover tags then they sell out when the season opens. Everyone wants to go hunt those November whitetails.

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
I think i read somewhere they aren't doing any over the counter tags this year, after the initial draw. They will be conducting another 2nd draw on computer for leftovers. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. What are you looking to hunt there? mule deer,whitetail, with a gun or bow?

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
I think i read somewhere they aren't doing any over the counter tags this year, after the initial draw. They will be conducting another 2nd draw on computer for leftovers. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. What are you looking to hunt there? mule deer,whitetail, with a gun or bow?
There will be a leftover draw this year. Any tags not drawn out in the initial or leftover draw will be sold first-come-first-serve, same as in the past.

I should have a Montana deer tag and about 9 days to fill it in early November. If I were to tag out in the first 2-3 days, I may pick up a Region A tag if any are left. I would expect to see mostly whitetails.

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
Ok thats kinda what i figured, just knew they were having a second draw is all. I've only hunted up in the "hills" on the Wyoming side once and it was a rat race on public. I always hunt the South Dakota side as my dad lives there. Night and day difference from one side to the other. I see way more deer and WAY less hunters on SD side. The rifle tag takes a few years to draw but you can send in for the archery tag and it's issued through game and fish and it's a guaranteed tag. Can hunt any deer with it as long as it's with a bow and can hunt any area in the state also. Just have to wear orange during rifle season. Think i will pick an archery tag up this year over there on top of putting in for my rifle tags their. Don't get me wrong though i have seen some big bucks come from Wyoming side over the years. I'm sure others here have more experience up there than i do. Will be fun anyways.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Haven't seen any monsters on the Wyoming side and it does get hit hard by residents and NR. Going during the week and avoid Thanksgiving, if the season is open then this year. It will be interesting with a leftover draw to see if any tags will be left after it. Good luck in Montana.