Reducing Torque

May 16, 2015
I need to increase the accuracy and precision in my arrow groups with my compound bow. Certainly I have user error, but I'd like to hear how others minimize torque to aid this process.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
i dont know if you are new to archery or not, but... take it in to a local archery shop and have it tuned. i was shooting 340 at 70# with 28 1/2 set up and was shooting good but not great. after a proper tune up ofcourse i changed to the easton bloodline 330 arrow and that topped with 125g tips brought my groups in super tight.

May 16, 2015
I just got it back from the archery shop and have been shooting it all last week after the tune up. It's shooting ok. Maybe it's just me, that's why I was wondering if there are other more basic things I can do like modifying my grip or adding more weight to my bee-stinger?

ando_31

Sep 14, 2012
ND
Grip is probably the most probable cause of torque. I had it explained to me once by a proshop archer that you're supposed to hold the grip "as if your hand just met the hand of another person during a handshake". It feels like your hand is angled a little downward, the grip only should be touching the pocket made between your thumb and pointer finger (don't hold the grip with your palm), and keep your hand open till after the bow starts to tip downward after the shot. It is an awkward feeling to hold the bow like that at first (it feels like the bow is just going to pop out of your hand). If it isn't torque, it can be bow and arrow matching, tuning, pulling to much weight, or you.
Good luck.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Sounds silly but have you considered shooting with a silk glove? A slippery gloves makes a big difference. Lets the bow "settle out" in your hand.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
open hand when shooting...

I forget the name of my stabilizer but it has the stiff post with a weight at the tip, adjustable. I think I have the 10"

May 16, 2015
Grip is probably the most probable cause of torque. I had it explained to me once by a proshop archer that you're supposed to hold the grip "as if your hand just met the hand of another person during a handshake". It feels like your hand is angled a little downward, the grip only should be touching the pocket made between your thumb and pointer finger (don't hold the grip with your palm), and keep your hand open till after the bow starts to tip downward after the shot. It is an awkward feeling to hold the bow like that at first (it feels like the bow is just going to pop out of your hand). If it isn't torque, it can be bow and arrow matching, tuning, pulling to much weight, or you.
Good luck.
Thanks for the great description. I will try to loosen up a bit on my grip and follow your instruction. Now if I just were left handed, I'd have it. :)

May 16, 2015
open hand when shooting...

I forget the name of my stabilizer but it has the stiff post with a weight at the tip, adjustable. I think I have the 10"
I'll try the open hand action and also the suggestion of MallardsX2 of using a silk glove. I have a silky glove, but I've actually never shot with it. It's camo so I guess I'll have to try it. I always felt that the bow would slip out of my hand, but guess the physics of it preclude that. Just something to get used to. If it improves my shooting, I'll adopt it.

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
Also, to add to grip, your nock can cause a decent amount of torque on your arrow. At rest, there should be about 1/32 to 1/64s of an inch gap on either the top or bottom of your nock points. This allows for the string to bend at full draw and not pinch your nock. This can cause a considerable amount of torque on your arrow.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I'll try the open hand action and also the suggestion of MallardsX2 of using a silk glove. I have a silky glove, but I've actually never shot with it. It's camo so I guess I'll have to try it. I always felt that the bow would slip out of my hand, but guess the physics of it preclude that. Just something to get used to. If it improves my shooting, I'll adopt it.
I have a hand strap that'll fit over a winter glove... It's how I learned to shoot, open hand, seems to do the job for me.

good luck.