Recommended Binocular Tripod Adapters...?

NorthCountry

Jul 26, 2011
I have a pair of Leica Ultravid 10 x 42 binoculars that I would like to mount/attach to a tripod for extended glassing periods. I have seen a few various methods for attaching binoculars to a tripod but was wondering what folks recommend? I'd like something that is quick and easy to mount and dis-mount depending on my needs. Ultimately, I'd like to carry one tripod with me in the field that will work with my spotting scope and binoculars without much plate or adapter changing when switching between the two. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
I tell you what I do and i love it.... I don't go anywhere without my shooting sticks. i think they are pole cat or something of the sort. I just use those 24/7 for glassing and then have my spotter set up next to me. Nothing faster and easier. I tried the bino adapter too but it just takes too long to change them out. And if you leave them on your binos them the post is always hitting you in the chest. At least that is what I found out, thats my 2 cents:) Shooting sticks, walking stick, and bino support. Good combo and I owe a lot of my animals to them in one way or another.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I think Montana's suggestion would be best with your ultravids, because the Leica's don't have a threaded exit for a standard adapter. If they did, Meopta makes a nice, fast adapter.

NorthCountry

Jul 26, 2011
Thanks for the feedback guys. I currently do use my shooting tripod (bogpod) to rest my binoculars on a lot when I'm glassing for extended periods of time... it does work but it's not the most comfortable level set up. Have any of you ever used any of these strap on type models? I do 75% of my glassing with my binoculars and thought that leaving the strap base mounted on my spotting tripod would be convenient and then when I want a closer look I'd have to swap it out for my scope? The Leica and Zeiss models sure are not cheap but the Nikon model is a little bit easier to stomach. Wondering how any of these work in the field under hunting conditions...?

Leica Universal Binocular Tripod Adapter
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247498-REG/Leica_42220_Universal_Binocular_Tripod_Adapter.html

Nikon Binoc-u-Mount Universal Binocular Tripod Adapter
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37170-REG/Nikon_820_Binoc_u_Mount_Universal_Binocular_Tripod.html

Zeiss - Binofix Universal Binocular Tripod Adapter
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/387181-REG/Zeiss_52_83_87_Binofix_Universal_Binocular_Tripod.html

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I haven't used a strap-type adapter in the field, thankfully. They just seem like the ultimate hastle.

However, with the Leicas there aren't a lot of options. I spend hours with my bins tripod mounted, and would consider a strap adapter if it was that or no tripod mount.

NorthCountry

Jul 26, 2011
Thanks BB. $100 seems a bit much for what you get for the Leica model but from the limited reviews I've found on the web most folks seem to like them. Maybe I'll be able to find one somewhere to check it out in person rather than picking one up blind. Thanks again for the feedback!

NorthCountry

Jul 26, 2011
Thanks fatrooster. I've never seen or heard of that model before. Have you used it or seen how it works? I'm puzzled as to how it attaches to the bins and how solid it is...?