RCBS Metallic Reloading Intro Kit?

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
Does anyone have any reviews in this item? What does the "Metallic" stand for?

I'm new to reloading. Thanks in advance.

BrettKoenecke

Jun 28, 2013
A kit is a good way to get started. So is a garage sale. I started with a Hornady kit myself and added to the list in pieces here and there. Its a rewarding hobby, welcome to the crowd.

Reactions: Prerylyon

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
What else would I need to purchase along with the kit in order to get started reloading?

The kit I'm looking at comes with the following:
-Partner Press
-Powder funnel
-Case loading block
-Debur tool
-Scale
-Case lube
-Intro to Handholding manual

I know I will probably also need a powder measure and perhaps a digital scale. Thank you all in advance for your replies.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It has the scale which millions of us used before the digital ones came out. It should also include a primeing tool of some kind.

You need a good reloading manual. All of the bullet manufacturer's have them along with powder manufacturer's. I would get the one to go with the bullets you plan on using.

Other than that you'll need powder, primers, and cases and you can start reloading. But start with the manual. It will give you a list of powders along with what primer to use.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Any questions just ask, there are enough of us that reload for our firearms that we should be able to take care of you

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
If you haven’t purchased this yet I highly recommend the Rock Chucker kit. Press is great and comes with a hand priming tool. I’ve used mine for 10+ years without an issue. I would also strongly suggest a powder trickler as they greatly enhance load accuracy and they’re only about $30. You’ll also need a quality set of calipers.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Its not quite apples to apples in capabilities, but I got a Lee handpress 'kit' in 2014 that comes with the handpress, powder funnel, bushings, priming ram; and I think it also was bundled with their balance beam scale at Midway when I ordered it.

I just had to buy the sizing die for my cartridge and components to get started. I don't set any speed records reloading with this set, but I have been very happy with the ammunition I have loaded with it. At some point 'A-K' (A-K= "after kids") I will get a fancier press I can mount to a dedicated bench. I've bought a number of other little tools and gadgets over the years. Two of the most useful are an RCBS bullet puller and a Lee dedicated depriming die.

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
Any questions just ask, there are enough of us that reload for our firearms that we should be able to take care of you
Hello Jim,
So I have already purchased the most recent Nobler reloading book. Now my other question is:

If you were to put together your own BASIC reloading kit what would it be?
Obviously a press, powder measure and scale along with case prep too, powder funnel and case block to start with correct? I already have dies for the calibers I'm interested in.

Thank you in advance for your time.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'd just get a kit. The kit will include just about everything you need to start putting rounds together.

Then down the road you can start updating the parts and pieces as you go along. I started with a Lyman kit and since then I have changed out the scale 3 times and have added items. The powder measure/scale that I now use is a RCBS Chargmaster but it runs $300+ and is more for convenience and speed. I also have picked up a digital scale that I can check my old powder dispenser with.

But after using my Lyman press for over 40 years and thousands of rifle and pistol loads it is showing its age and I will quite likely replace it next year with a RCBS Rockchucker press

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
One other thing, if I recommend a kit it would be the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit. It is a little bit spendy but it is worth it. The Rockchucker press is around $189 by it self. But RCBS builds quality items that are in the kit.

Reactions: AKaviator

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
One other thing, if I recommend a kit it would be the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit. It is a little bit spendy but it is worth it. The Rockchucker press is around $189 by it self. But RCBS builds quality items that are in the kit.

That is the kit I started with 12 years ago also. I’ve since added a digital scale, Forster case trimmer and a trickler. The press will last a lifetime. Can’t say enough good about the kit in general.

Reactions: prhunter

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
No scale or is there a digital one in the kit?

If nothing else you can pick up a digital one fairly cheap. All it needs to do it to read accurately and most of them come with check weights and a powder pan.

You will also find with the powder dispenser that it won't like long extruded powders and will work best with ball or flake type powders, but then that is what the powder trickler is for. But if you use some powder that looks like pencil lead you will see what I mean on the dispenser not liking them.

Reactions: prhunter

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
No scale or is there a digital one in the kit?

If nothing else you can pick up a digital one fairly cheap. All it needs to do it to read accurately and most of them come with check weights and a powder pan.

You will also find with the powder dispenser that it won't like long extruded powders and will work best with ball or flake type powders, but then that is what the powder trickler is for. But if you use some powder that looks like pencil lead you will see what I mean on the dispenser not liking them.
It does come with a small digital scale.

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
What else would I need to purchase along with the kit in order to get started reloading?

The kit I'm looking at comes with the following:
-Partner Press
-Powder funnel
-Case loading block
-Debur tool
-Scale
-Case lube
-Intro to Handholding manual

I know I will probably also need a powder measure and perhaps a digital scale. Thank you all in advance for your replies.
Your going to need to get a device that throws powder or scoops that hold the right amount of powder. Also a powder trickler. I started out with a rcbs uniflow and trickler. I soon got very tired of that and purchase a Lyman gen 6.

What calibers are you looking to reload and why are you reloading? Different types of shooting would change how I reload.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The kit that he purchased has everything needed to load rounds except for the dies, shell holder, powder, bullets, primers, and cases.