Rattling Blacktails

elkmtngear

Feb 21, 2011
My cousin pulled it off several years ago, shot a nice 5x5 that came into 15 yards looking for a fight, stomping the ground. It was somewhere near the Oregon/California border.

Best of Luck,
Jeff

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
They are very receptive to rattling for about a 2 week window in my area. We've done well rattling during the late season archery hunts. I've been rattling them for a few years now and swear by it. I like to spot and stalk them to about 200 yards, then set up down wind and rattle them in the rest of the way. Go ahead and try it next season, you might feel stupid at first... until one nearly runs you over! I've found that the key is to make as much noise as possible and use the biggest sheds you have.

BEETLEGUY

Mar 1, 2011
California
They are very receptive to rattling for about a 2 week window in my area. We've done well rattling during the late season archery hunts. I've been rattling them for a few years now and swear by it. I like to spot and stalk them to about 200 yards, then set up down wind and rattle them in the rest of the way. Go ahead and try it next season, you might feel stupid at first... until one nearly runs you over! I've found that the key is to make as much noise as possible and use the biggest sheds you have.
What months? I know our archery begins and end with velvet (end of archery hard horns start showing up)

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
Last week of A zone can be good (end of September), and any late season draw tag during the rut is an excellent time to rattle. In Monterey Co. they usually start pushing around Sept. 20th, and most of the bucks I've rattled in to be killed were in the first and second weeks of October. A good rule of thumb is that when you start seeing bucks hit on the roads, get out there and clank some bone.

BEETLEGUY

Mar 1, 2011
California
Last week of A zone can be good (end of September), and any late season draw tag during the rut is an excellent time to rattle. In Monterey Co. they usually start pushing around Sept. 20th, and most of the bucks I've rattled in to be killed were in the first and second weeks of October. A good rule of thumb is that when you start seeing bucks hit on the roads, get out there and clank some bone.
Good to know. I need to get out and do a coastal hunt real soon.

northforkecap

May 28, 2011
Medford, OR
Here in So. Ore. I've found rattling to be effective from the middle of November to the first of December. However, I like to have a buck grunt and doe bleat call as well. When one doesn't seem to work, try the other, or a combination of three.