Randy Ulmer 2019 NV Archery Buck

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I used to have a lot of respect for Randy. But then I started hearing some rumblings of how he operates and it sort of soured me a bit. I can't confirm anything I've heard, but I have heard things from several different sources.
Usually where there is smoke their is some sort of fire.
He always manages to stick a nice buck doesn't he.......
Congratulations.

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
I used to have a lot of respect for Randy. But then I started hearing some rumblings of how he operates and it sort of soured me a bit. I can't confirm anything I've heard, but I have heard things from several different sources.
Congratulations.
What are the rumblings of how he operates? I always put him at the top of my celebrity hunting list. Just curious

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Congratulations.
Hmmm...That Kurt Darner had a habit of taking monster mule deer for years, until he got caught.
Google Randy Ulmer and you see pic after pic of giant mule deer bucks going back years. Seems to be one lucky dude.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Kurt Darner is so long ago that I doubt that very many even remember him.

But he was all the rave as far as shooting B&C mule deer and as you said it went that way until they threw the book at him.

It turned out that most if not all of the big bucks that he shot were poached.

Naturebob

Feb 28, 2016
phoenix, az.
That won't happen with Randy , He is a Good Guy, I lived in Cave Creek Arizona north of Phoenix 25 miles and He lived there too. I din't know Him but He worked out at the gym where my Daughter worked. And He worked hard they say. I would see Him in restaruants with His Family. Know people that know Him and He works hard to make it happen ,plus I'M sure He knows alot of people that help Him .He is a humble guy that won't let His legacy get tarnished. He has allready proved He is one of best all time.........BOB!

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
If you dont know who Darner is then you dont know much about the history of mule deer.. To compare Randy to Darner is plain ignorant.

Ya know I usually dont comment on this type of stuff and if it were another forum I would leave it alone and chalk it up to "internet cowboys" but after a night of rest I feel the need to speak up on this. To call a spade a spade well a couple of you are just dead wrong about what you are saying about Randy...

With out going too far I will say that when he hunts Colorado Randy is a very generous family man who puts in more time and work than anyone I have ever seen to find/hunt giant mule deer.. He finds the bucks he hunts here in CO then gets it done many times on the first or second day on a bigger buck than most folks have ever seen. Then he helps family/friends with their tags.. Yes he buys a good landowner tag in a big group of units where he finds the bucks every year. He also has set up his life to hunt mule deer = more power to him it is the same as I would do with his options.

A lot can be done with money and time but you have to love the process and the flat work of it. Flat out Randy combines it all to do what he does in Colorado.

V

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I respect your opinion ColoradoV.
I also do not think Randy will do anything to tarnish his legacy and he is no Darner that's for sure. I have also heard that he is very willing and able to help others fill their tags after he has filled his.
Yes he gets help locating deer. We all do to some degree. But there have been some issue with keeping other hunters out of public land.I've heard this a number of times from reliable sources.
However, he is a great hunter...

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Maybe/Maybe not.
However, I've give Randy credit as he is in great shape, maintains composure at the moment of truth, possess incredible stalking ability, takes ethically shots and reasonable distances and consistently makes it happen. This I do know. Kudos to him for this. I've always admired him as it's tough to find ethical roll models who promote our sport as they are getting fewer every year. As everyone knows, we've lost a several over the past 2 years.
I simply shared earlier what I'd heard..

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
Respectfully, I guess I just don’t understand why you would even make such a post without absolute proof? I’ve heard things about you......should I post them here? (I haven’t I’m just trying make a point).

I know Randy and what you’re describing just does not happen.
He has the time, patience, finance, physical ability, and is a world class archer. Couple that with his contacts with several guides who are friends he’s met through the industry and you have his recipe for continual success.....nothing more or less. He’s not asking anyone to look up to him as a role model......he’d probably tell you your parents should be your only role model.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Hey guys, just a reminder that we won’t go down the gossip train here. I don’t know Randy and have no axe to grind. Let’s just leave it here for the time being. He is a consistent killer with his bow, doesn’t sound like there is much else we can add beyond that. Congrats to him on another giant.

Hatchet Jack

Feb 14, 2018
Appalachian Trail, Maryland
Hey guys, just a reminder that we won’t go down the gossip train here. I don’t know Randy and have no axe to grind. Let’s just leave it here for the time being. He is a consistent killer with his bow, doesn’t sound like there is much else we can add beyond that. Congrats to him on another giant.
Absolutely! Randy is a class act.