Question on 900 series antelope tags

ChadH

Nov 22, 2011
Mount Rainier
Hey everyone! I'm looking for a backup plan for my son and I should we not draw any LE tags for antelope this year, and he would like to try MT for some archery goat. I have a couple questions though. First, with the Block Managment contracts/book not coming out until around the time the archery hunt starts, how do you know which landowners you can contact (I am not sure if the book changes that much from year to year, so maybe last years book would tell you all you need to know??)? and Second, I'd like to hear from some of you that are in the 900 areas how the population is rebounding from the winter kills. I have heard it is spotty, but still goats to be found. I really appreciate any info you can share.

Chad

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Usually to hunt block management you can just sign in at a sign in box at the BMA you are hunting. There are a few you have to go talk to the land owner prior to hunting. BMA's can change some from year to year but I think last years list would be pretty close to this years. What state are you applying for a LE unit in?

ChadH

Nov 22, 2011
Mount Rainier
Wyoming again, but not enough points to draw for sure (we used them up season before last, so we have 1 again s all). Also Nevada (4 points, so who knows, starting to be "in the realm of possibility"). We might do Idaho in one of the archery units as well. It is closer to WA (but you know that :)), but we have friends in Livingston, MT and would like to stop off and see them.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I have the same points as you in both states. I tried to burn my NV antelope points last year and didnt draw a unit everyone with 3 points drew the year before but Im kinda glad I didnt burn them now. I wont draw a good tag in Wy for a couple more years either but there are plenty of units in Wy you can draw 2nd choice if you really want to hunt antelope!

ChadH

Nov 22, 2011
Mount Rainier
Yea, I know. I guess we are kind of zeroed in on a couple spots in WY though. NV, well, that is a different story. I flip flop between wanting to just draw and get it over with (tired of buying non res tags for a goat hunt every year) and then wanting to hold out for the unit(s) I actually WANT to draw. It makes that 4th choice unit kind of interesting... you don't want to put down something that you will regret later.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
NV antelope is just at a really bad time of year for me so I was gonna get out before I got in any deeper but I would be applying for other hunts there anyways so it doesnt cost alot more. I got a unit in Wy I like to hunt when I can draw it too and until then I hunt leftover tags when nothing else works out. Aslong as there is some public land I can get to in the unit I dont worry to much. As long as Im not burning points to get the tag Im just happy to be hunting somewhere!

ChadH

Nov 22, 2011
Mount Rainier
Agreed. I am really just putting in NV for the Antelope hunt though (I do buy the others, but really want the antelope tag). I hunted Idaho last year for muley's, and had a blast. Planning an elk trip there this year (provided I don't draw AZ), and thought my son might like the Idaho Goat hunt (in the archery units), but he mentioned MT and going to visit our friends on the way, soooo... it's been a few years since I researched MT Antelope hunting.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Mt antelope are way down in alot of areas. I have hunted in 700 before but with the quotas cut somuch and the draw odds getting alot harder I decided it washt worth the wait to draw right now and there was alot more opportunity in Wy. Where do you hunt in Idaho? I am thinking about hunting elk in the panhandle this year. had a great hunt on a LE deer tag 2 years ago but otherwise havent had any luck drawing anything LE in Idaho.

ChadH

Nov 22, 2011
Mount Rainier
I drew unit 18 Muley tag, did a solo back pack hunt in there for my 50th birthday present. Just never saw anything big enough to shoot 6 miles down in that hole. Would love to hunt there again, I know it a LOT better now. Two buddies hunted 29 for elk last year. I will go with them this year I guess. I've kind of wanted to try a couple places, but no one to really go with. I'd like to try 18, rifle elk season, but again, no one to go with and I don't really want to pack a bull out of there by myself.

I am thinking the 21A tag for antelope (archery). I may go over and try 18 during bear season this spring.

Last edited:

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I apply for 40/42 for everything figuring I was bound to draw something eventually and get to know the area. Drew a deer tag 2 years ago but nothing else so far. I will prob hunt unit 1 for elk. Saw some nice bulls there 4 years ago when I was deer hunting but not sure what the wolves have done to them since then.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Chad the 900 tags cover districts all over the state, so there is a lot of opportunity, and some districts are faring better than others.

BM areas don't change too much year to year.

ChadH

Nov 22, 2011
Mount Rainier
Chad the 900 tags cover districts all over the state, so there is a lot of opportunity, and some districts are faring better than others.

BM areas don't change too much year to year.
I kind of figured the BM book didn't change that much, I just wasn't sure of the regs and if the contracts aren't current if you could legally be on a BM parcel until the start date...

And, yea, the 900's are like almost half the state it seems. I know that a lot of winter kill was localized. I was thinking about going around Broadus... anyone know if things are recovering there? The other option would be way north and more central, or the 300 units.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I hunted the 600s this year and did OK, but they are still recovering from that big winterkill. Last I heard the 700s were way down.

The 300s have never had huge numbers, but are holding steady over the last few years.

ceby7

Feb 21, 2011
Laurel, MT
The Broadus/Alzada area is fairing the best in Region 7 IMO. The numbers aren't what they were several years ago, but you should be able to find a good number of antelope and have an enjoyable hunt. My dad shot a 14" buck on a block management area near Alzada this year and I was pleasantly surprised with the antelope we saw, both quantity and quality wise. Looking forward to next fall.

weigand

Feb 13, 2014
N. Idaho/Central MT.
Yeah antelope numbers are down compared to 5 years ago. But with some milder winters and decent summers populations are up, but still not what they were. I drew a 900 series goat tag last year and chased around bucks for a couple weekends in august. I didn't fill one but had a blast until my rest broke. :( As far as landowners go I just called people who still had the BM boxes up and got verbal permission. Most of them didn't care at all. However that time of year is wheat harvest (around aug 15th) so I had a tough time getting a hold of people last minute. The antelope are there for sure but just plan on a day or two of scouting. There are still a few nice bucks running around but 95% are 3 year old or less. Very hard to find a mature buck. In summary- if you're looking for some fun on the plains with a chance of sticking a goat, go for it. If your lookiing for a PY buck, look else where.