Question For Chukar Hunters

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
How do you keep your dog's feet in good condition during the season? My GSPs front pads get chewed up after each hunt, not terribly, but enough so that I'll give her a 2 week break before we head out again. She is young and runs hard. She hasn't learned, yet, to pace herself. I think that's part of the problem for her. Boots, neoprene, other? I read one hunter uses bike tubes and he really likes those.

Even when not hunting, I take her on runs, 3-5 miles, 3-4 times per week. Not sure what else I can do to toughen her pads. Chukar country, for those of you that hunt em, know the terrain is rocky/rough/jagged. Thanks

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
The area I hunt them in is not as rocky as where you hunt, just steep (to me!). I like the idea of booties though. All dog mushers up here use them successfully.

Reactions: Mule3006Elk

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
Duke, my German Wirehaired Pointer, had the same problem. I didn't like the booty idea as in the rock and snow I wanted him to have all the advantages that come with his natural feet. I started using a Remington product that you spray on the feet. It worked fairly well but became hard to find. Then I went to "TUF-FOOT". The bottle says manufactured by The Bonaseptic Company. This worked well here in NE NV. I would just spray it on his feet when I was heading out the door to work and he was going into the kennel. If you spray it on while in the house, it will discolor your carpet.

Reactions: AKaviator

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
Duke, my German Wirehaired Pointer, had the same problem. I didn't like the booty idea as in the rock and snow I wanted him to have all the advantages that come with his natural feet. I started using a Remington product that you spray on the feet. It worked fairly well but became hard to find. Then I went to "TUF-FOOT". The bottle says manufactured by The Bonaseptic Company. This worked well here in NE NV. I would just spray it on his feet when I was heading out the door to work and he was going into the kennel. If you spray it on while in the house, it will discolor your carpet.
I have not heard of that but I will look into it. Great idea. Thanks for sharing!

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
Here is some information for your research. Pretty sure you could find it cheaper on Amazon or EBay.

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
Here is some information for your research. Pretty sure you could find it cheaper on Amazon or EBay.

I just ordered a bottle from amazon. Great reviews. Looking forward to trying it out. I'm new to hunting dogs so I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my post/question!!