Quebec/Ontario moose

swmoelk

Apr 8, 2014
I've been researching both provinces for moose hunt opportunities. I think ive got it figured out how everything works but I'd like to hear from someone whose actually done one of these outfitted hunts. I'm looking at going through an outfitter and spending a week with the wife on a remote drive to or fly to lake. My plans are to hunt mornings and evenings with some walleye and pike during the day.

Could anyone tell me what the success rates are on average on these type of hunts? I've had outfitters say 40%-85% but then when you figure one moose for 4 people in and that could be 4 moose for every 40 people in a season. I know everyone will be different I just thought some of you may have some insight. This is not a trophy hunt this is just an easy way to show the wife some new country. Thanks guys

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
http://www.thunderhook.com/ontario-moose-hunts/

For whats its worth....this outfit advertises 40%. DIY hunting mostly. I got this link from the Eastmans Forum members while researching. I've spoken to the gentlemen and we discussed those numbers in depth. He sounded like he was upfront and honest with me. To summarize...." if I had nothing but clients who have hunted out west for elk etc other big game who can cover ground.....that number would be over 85% most years" That combined with ( I think) the expectation of maybe a group of four going on a hunt and only being able to find one or shoot one drops the numbers. ( like you mentioned) Just my thoughts though and have no data to back that up.

I was though pleasantly surprised at all the half decent DIY moose hunts out there( Canada)

swmoelk

Apr 8, 2014
Slugz

That sounds like the people I've talked to. I've talked with several and they all say that if their clients would get off the road their rates would double.
There's plenty of options for eastern Canadian moose but though Quebec is cheaper and closer for a little more $ you could go to Newfoundland and have an almost guaranteed hunt for a bull that is has good palms and a decent spread. I enjoy the diy type of hunting though.

I'll look into pickle lake. For sure. Thanks guys

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I hunted from daylight to dark in Canada for a total of about 60 days for moose in archery season.

I have physically seen 3 moose. All were bulls and two died.

It wouldn't be my first pick if I said I REALLY wanted to shoot a moose.

However it would be a great vacation because you get to hunt and the fishing is great!

BTW...I'm heading back to Ontario this season with my wife. Going to let her try to stick one.

300magman

Oct 23, 2016
Alberta, Canada
I would go with Ontario fly in over Quebec anyday. Ontario has some great moose hunting (so does Quebec, but I would put my money into Ontario). Also, as mentioned, nfld has TONS of moose, and you would be able to combo it with a woodland caribou if you desired.

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I did Newfoundland last year. Didn't fly in but would if I did it again. Over 90 percent success that way. I hunted off the roads and hiked. Took a decent bull, the only one I saw. The extra 1500 would've been worth it to fly in though.
The price on bou there is going through the roof. 12k last year due to declining numbers.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk