Putting cheese in homemade sausage

jerm8352

Jul 24, 2013
My dad and I recently tried making some snack stick sausage with our grinder and smoker. The first time we ground the cheese with the meat and then put it through again to stuff the casings. This was a gooey mess. The second time we cut the cheese into little chunks and only mixed this in while stuffing the cases. Both times the sausages were good but had no cheese taste or hunks of cheese. When we got snack sticks from the processor before we could see and taste big hunks of cheese and we can not reproduce this yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I've always put cheese in mine. I buy the cubed cheese and then only cut in half. I mix it in right before I stuff the sausages.
Works great.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
What packer said above. My local processor will sell it to me so I don't have to search for it. I do my best to send him a little business here and there. He also provides beef or pork fat for free to me as a thank you for the referrals. The high temp cheese is the only way to go.

Murdy

Dec 13, 2011
North-Central Illinois
I used to work for a small sausage processor, and we made a snack-stick with cheese. I don't recall using high-temp cheese, but I'm sure that would solve your problem. As I recall, we used a shredded cheddar. If you don't go the high-temp route, make sure you are using real cheese. Some of the processed cheeses are mostly oil, which I doubt would hold up very well.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Is it better to use a stuffer vs a grinder to stuff?
Over time I have slowly added more equipment to my sausage making capabilities. I used to grind and stuff with a grinder. Works ok. Then I tried a jerky shooter. Works, but very tiresome. Then I went to a stuffer. Stuffers are made for a reason. I finally broke down and bought a vertical stuffer from cabelas after about killing myself trying a stuffing horn..... That vertical stuffer is defineitely worth it and with the motor attachement you can stuff and twist the casings with a singe guy operation without too many issues.

BobJohansen

Apr 12, 2013
Minnesota
Hi temp cheese is the way to go.

I have a vertical stuffer and it is super easy to control and use. You can operate with one guy but have someone run the crank and another handle the casings is nice.

+1 on the high temp cheese.

Here is a link for where I buy mine.

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/high-temperature-cheese/black-friday

When I started making sausage 10 years ago I tried regular cheese. After my summer sausage and snak sticks came out of the smoker the cheese was a melted mess. Sausage was fine, but a bit on the soggy side.
All these guys are spot on with the High Temp Cheese. LEM is a great company and I have been using them for about 10 years now.