Public Acess

turkey23

Oct 20, 2011
Central PA
Hello to all, new to forum. I was looking for some info on a good unit for public access. I have a group of 4 looking to try and do an antelope hunt. I have been to Wyoming twice and taken 2 mule deer on private land. We no longer have access to the private land so looking for any info. I would really take a goat; we are not looking for giants, just a decent number animals so we can have an opportunity to some respectable goats. Maybe the next time we go big but we would just like to take 1 to start.

thanks

turkey23

Oct 20, 2011
Central PA
I have only ever been to Gillette, I know that area has little to no public access; I am really willing to try any part of the state. Again I am not out to get a giant just a area where me and my 3 buddies could see some goats and take a decent one. We are driving from pa so we would need some place that would have a hotel witihn driving distance to the hunitng area.

thanks

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
That'd be antelope areas #72 #73 & #75? Area # 72 has lots of tags (leftovers too) and lots of BLM ground.
Area #72 is just south west of Casper, motels aplenty. Hope this helps.

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
turkey23: Eastman's MRS is super helpful for applying for antelope. It is usually in the February edition if you are a subscriber to the magazine. Considering what you are looking for , here is what I would look for using that resource. Use these steps to narrow your options:

1. Find all units that are blue chip or green chip rated.

2. Then narrow that to the units that have an "A" or "B" trophy class rating.

3. Then narrow that to the units that have an "A" or "B" rating for "access".

4. Then narrow that to units with like 85% to 100% success (which nearly all are in Wyoming).

5. Then narrow that for units that have season dates you can draw.

6. Finally consider the units where you have the bast chance to draw a tag. The "special" draw, if you can afford it, will usually DRASTICALLY increase your odds of drawing.

Manualman

Aug 10, 2011
North Jersey
I drove out from Jersey and I am hunting area 73. It has gone down hill compared to 2 years ago. I have 2 doe tags for area 72 so this week I will see what is down there

Manualman

Aug 10, 2011
North Jersey
Saw lots of antelope in area 72. Lots of small herds but a few large herds also. A lot were on BLM land. Get a GPS with a platt map chip. Lots were on small plots of BLM land. Send for doe tags also. Lots around