Prepping For Africa 2022

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I figured that I had better start getting prepped for my upcoming trip to South Africa in June of 2022.

So knowing that my rifle that I am going to take had not been shot since I was there in 2015 and it had gone through 4 different airports since I had shot it I thought that I had better check the zero on the scope. I also had to run 60 reloaded rounds through it to make sure that they were going to chamber and that there won't be any surprises when I went to chamber one of the rounds.

Well, the RMEF had sent me a nice target so I mounted it up onto a board and headed south of town to check things out. I hadn't been on this short road since the monsoons had closed Glenwood Canyon and had dumped a lot of rain on the area that I shoot at so I was a little bit surprised when I saw that there were some washouts and deeper ravines that needed to be crossed to get to my shooting area. But my trusty F250 handled them without a hiccup and I reached my shooting area. I set up my portable bench and grabbed some rods to hold the target. I hiked over to the 200 yard area and set the target up and then back to my bench. I set up my spotting scope since I didn't want to hike back and forth to see where the bullets were hitting and I was ready to go.

I loaded up the first round and hunkered down and got the target in my sights. I pulled the trigger and my old .340 Weatherby roared to life. I looked through the scope and it looked like it was a good hit. Well I loaded up another round, same results but it looked a little bit higher than the first. I got up and took a look through the spotter and was amazed that they were real close to where they should be at. I loaded up a third round and pulled the trigger, then a fifth, sixth, and a seventh. Well, they all looked good except for one, the seventh one. My shoulder was feeling the recoil now and that seventh was a called flier but it didn't miss by much.

I then got my 60 rounds that I planned on taking with me. I'd load three into the magazine at a time and chambered and ejected each round. Towards the end I found some were not fitting into the magazine like they should and since I had loaded all of them at the same time I wondered what was going on. I decided that I would figure it out when I got home.

Now was time to set up another target for my 2 muzzle loaders, but that is another story.

When I got home I took a look at the rounds that wouldn't fit into the magazine and measured them for over all length. A number of there were just over what they should be. I took a look at my seating die and noticed that the bullet seating stem was loose and had backed out of the die just enough to cause the problem. So I adjusted it to where it was suppose to be and ran all 60 round through it to get them all uniform. It was only a couple of milli-meters so I'm not going to worry about it changing the point of impact.

So now I am getting closer. Last week I purchased my airfare. I'll fly from Denver to Dallas on American Airlines and then hop on Qatar Airlines for the long trip to Doha Qatar, then to Johannesburg South Africa, then onto a South African airline to Port Elizabeth. The return flights will be the same airlines but the other direction.

I'll need to get some more shooting in but that will wait until next April or May. My hunt starts on June 2 so I have plenty of time

Last edited:

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Ha. I got those 2 targets in the mail today. I always put the targets and mailing labels from RMEF to work.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I wish I could shoot now. I need to reset my scope. It is just to hot and takes for ever for the barrel to cool down.
A stray shoot like that always messes with my head. Otherwise a pretty nice grouping for 200 yards.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The second that I pulled the trigger I could call it off, just how far I didn't know until I looked.

I try to go out in the mornings to get my shooting done. Even with it just getting into the 80's it gets a little warm out in that sun. Plus here in the mountains there usually isn't any wind until around 10 am so I don't have to worry about it causing problems.

I was actually surprised that after the number of airports and the number of baggage handlers that my rifle case had seen that it shot just where it is suppose to shoot off of the bench. I'll adjust it a little to get the group right on center next spring before my hunt but I am satisfied with how it did.

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
It's exciting to see you getting ready for your hunt already. I booked mine to go a year before you. But now due to covid and other plans in between I'll actually be going a year after you. That's the soonest my son could still go with me.

Reactions: JimP

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Just got my flight tickets, we're flying Qatar out of Dallas. I thought about flying out of Eagle but decided that Denver would be best for me. You never know what is going to happen with flights in and out of Eagle.
I'll get a hotel in Denver both ways since my return flight gets in at 8pm and after that flight I don't think that I'll feel like driving home.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
My primary two are going to be a warthog and a blue wildebeest. Then we'll see what comes along.

The animals on the package that I purchased are:

Kudu, Gemsbuck, Blue or Black Wildebeest, Impala, Blesbuck, Duiker, Warthog, Cull Impala, Cull Blesbuck. Then I can pick 3 of the following. Baboon,Jackal, Bushbuck, Mountain Reedbuck, Male or Female White Blesbuck, Ostrich, Cape Springbuck or Black Springbuck.

In the end it will be 10 animals in about 8 days. The package is for 10 days but I have 2 travel days in there.

The only animal that I plan on bringing back to mount is the warthog. Any others that I bring back will be euro mounts.