Preparing for the hunt

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
As some of you may know, I am headed to Colorado for an archery hunt this Thursday. I feel like we have all the equipment needed but I wanted to ask, What are the main things you leave at home and wish you had with you on your hunt? We will be staying in a truck bed camper for 10 days. We are taking Rambo bikes to get around on the motorized trails with and hiking a lot. Thanks for any wisdom!

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
1. a lightweight chair. Really helped my dad out with his knees.
2. Scent free baby wipes or any kind of wipes to clean your body lol.

Gerald

Dec 8, 2017
Colorado
The small things tend to be forgotten.. most important thing to me is a good nights rest so you can keep hunting hard for longer and enjoy your hunt more. a good mattress/ pad to sleep on and my favorite pillow always come with me whenever I've got a base camp by the road. when backpacking i like to bring a smaller seat pad that doubles as a pillow. Of course always be prepared with some kind of a survival/first aid kit too. Best of luck to you guys i hope to see some great success pics from y'all

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Tissues. I pack like a maniac, I even have gear lists to follow. I probably repack my bag every few weeks just to mess around with my gear in some way. So how the heck do I ALWAYS forget the ***** tissues?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
A few plastic sandwich bags are at times worth their weight in gold. Get the sealing type.

I use them for wet wipes, and TP mostly and I usually just stick them into my pants pockets to have them no matter what. But they come in handy if you get into some bad weather and you have a few things that you don't want to get wet.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Sorry, I'm late to the party here, hope you do well. Something that may be overlooked is chapstick. I've always carried at least a tube with me after my first western hunt. Your lips can dry out fast.
I have a great way to avoid that. After forgetting chapstick almost every trip for over a year, I now live in fear of being without it. So every time I'm in a gas station heading out and buying snacks and jerky, I always pick up one of those 3-packs at the counter. Since you use MAYBE about 1/8" of chapstick at a time, the net effect is I now own about 30 tubes of it, rattling around my truck, backpack, and elsewhere! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Wyoming Hart

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I have a great way to avoid that. After forgetting chapstick almost every trip for over a year, I now live in fear of being without it. So every time I'm in a gas station heading out and buying snacks and jerky, I always pick up one of those 3-packs at the counter. Since you use MAYBE about 1/8" of chapstick at a time, the net effect is I now own about 30 tubes of it, rattling around my truck, backpack, and elsewhere! :ROFLMAO:
20 years ago when I did my first western hunt my lips were nearly bleeding by the time I came home. Now that I live here my work truck, personal truck, backpack, and every clothes totes I own have chapstick in them! Never leave home without out!

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
20 years ago when I did my first western hunt my lips were nearly bleeding by the time I came home. Now that I live here my work truck, personal truck, backpack, and every clothes totes I own have chapstick in them! Never leave home without out!
During hunting season I'm the same way,only with T.P. every pack,truck,vest, jacket
and pocket has at least a partial roll in a zip lock bag.Wet T.P. doesn't work so well,
and there's no way to dry it out...I have tried.Ha!,Ha!
Sleeves and socks work well but then you look kinda raggety walking around
partially dressed. 🔥

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Thanks for the advice guys! If only I would have seen the chapstick comment before I left! They are just now healing! Our hunt was great. The first 4 days were rough. We had not found any sign where we first set up camp, So we made a move. By day 5 we were finding fresh sign and the rut seemed to have made a turn for the better. I called in a 5x5 and made some rookie mistakes. Ended up missing that bull but it gave us the hope we needed to keep hunting. I ended up killing a cow the next day after calling in another bull and 2 spikes. Still a great trophy for my first elk. Thanks for the help everyone! Im addicted now

Attachments

KHSRanger23

Apr 14, 2016
Utah
Congratulations on filling your Elk tag, should be some great eating. Sounds like you made a good adjustments during your hunt by moving from your first area. Elk hunting is definitely an addiction and the experience you learned on this hunt will help you on all you future Elk hunts.

Reactions: TN911

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Thanks for the advice guys! If only I would have seen the chapstick comment before I left! They are just now healing! Our hunt was great. The first 4 days were rough. We had not found any sign where we first set up camp, So we made a move. By day 5 we were finding fresh sign and the rut seemed to have made a turn for the better. I called in a 5x5 and made some rookie mistakes. Ended up missing that bull but it gave us the hope we needed to keep hunting. I ended up killing a cow the next day after calling in another bull and 2 spikes. Still a great trophy for my first elk. Thanks for the help everyone! Im addicted now
Congrats on a great and successful hunt!

Reactions: TN911