Preferred bugle call

Sephp

Sep 2, 2018
I’m looking to buy a new bugle call. I was curious on opinions of the most user friendly or the one you guys prefer. Thanks!!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
couldn't say on most user friendly but I have always been partial to wayne carltons super blue.
been using it for 30+ years

Reactions: Sephp

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
What works and is user friendly for me might not be user friendly for you.

I have no problem using a mouth diaphragm but others do nothing but gag on them and they usually use one that has a reed in the mouth piece on the tube.

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
I started with the Primos Pack Bugle then transitioned into diaphragm calls. At the beginning I would just gag, probably lasted almost a year. I kept after it then all of a sudden no gagging and I can make decent sounds. I have tried diaphragms from Primos, Rocky Mountain, and Phelps. I prefer the Phelps white ones but also use Corey Jacobsen's orange one which is made by Rocky Mountain. Thinking about getting one from Dirk Durham (The Bugler) but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Pretty sure it is made by Phelps. I also use the tube from Phelps.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
If I mentionaed what I used on a public forum it would be the next hoochie bugle! lol So I will refrain.

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Rocky mountain elk calls get my vote. Very easy to use their diaphragm and tube. Plus they send you info on how to use the call, and what the calls mean to the elk!

Reactions: bowhunterjae

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
Use and practice with diaphrams. I just switched to phelps bugle. Most realistic and ease of use bugle out there for crisp sounds. Of course, u need a lot of practice to match diaphrams to situations and sounds Everyone prefers different

Reactions: THelms

ShepDog

Nov 14, 2015
Wyoming Native
Phelps/Born and raised outdoors makes some real effective reeds and tubes. They are very easy to learn. They make several different reeds that you can try and guarentee one of them will work for you.
Dirk Durham has some good reeds as well. Most people give up on reed calls for whatever reason.
My opinion is that the reed calls produce the best sounds. That's why world champion elk callers practice to perfection with them.