Preference Point Question

bigsky2

Mar 9, 2011
I noticed in the MRS section that they only list the draw odds with up to 5 points. Is 5 points considered max points or do they just not have the room to list more in the MRS? Basically what I'm saying is, is there any advantage to having 8 points for elk as opposed to 5? I realize you have to keep getting points or you will lose them.

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
As a resident I have no idea what max points are but I did find out the preference point system for elk,deer, and antelope has only been around since 2006. Not sure that helps.

Last edited:

Eberle

Veteran member
Oct 2, 2012
Sasakwa, Oklahoma
Maximum points for 2012 was 6 points for NR tags. The MRS section was showing statistics for 2011 draw, which would have been 5 points max.

HayHay98

May 22, 2012
Wyoming
The preference point system in WY is tricky. Essentially there are three different drawings for NR. Special Draw (costs more money), Preference Point Draw, and then Random. The best way to look at this is to get on the G&F website and look at the draw odds from 2011. Look at the draw odds for the same amount of preference points you have AND look at where they are above and below where you sit. From that information, you can tell which areas you actually have a chance of drawing and which areas you have minimal to zero chance of drawing. Its a bit of a tricky system for you guys but at least you are building points. Residents are still on a "luck of the draw" system for elk, deer, and antelope. I haven't drawn a limited entry bull tag in 5 years. Good Luck!

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
I think it's a typo as the new issue has two columns with 5.
Yea I noticed that too. Max points last year was 6. Eastmans is a good resource but you have to be careful and not blindly accept everything in the MRS. There are mistakes and also some very important info that is sometimes left out.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I know max points for sheep and moose is a heck of alot higher than 6 points. Like someone mentioned above, the point system for elk, antelope, and deer was started more recently hence the fewer max points. Unfortunately there is starting to be lots of point creep similar to other states.

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
I know max points for sheep and moose is a heck of alot higher than 6 points. Like someone mentioned above, the point system for elk, antelope, and deer was started more recently hence the fewer max points. Unfortunately there is starting to be lots of point creep similar to other states.
Yea for moose and sheep it is either 17 or 18 I think. The MRS that bigsky was talking about though is only for elk.