Powdered Energy Drink?

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
I love me some 5 hr energy in the mornings when chasing muleys on the rolling plains. I know the starbucks instant coffee is pretty good and that is my current choice for getting going in the morning with my backcountry gear, but does anyone make something dehydrated similar to a 5 hr energy? Thanks!

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
There is a product called ZIPP FIZZ, they sell it at costco. You mix it with 16 oz of water. It replaces the electrolytes you lose. Not really an energy drink but you notice it at the end of the day.

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
I bring Crystal Lite Energy packets that I found in our local food store. The ones I use are the strawberry ones, 5 calories per drink. I just use it more for something to give the water some taste and they come in packets. I'll gather the ingredient for energy is just some caffeine. I've not tried the 5 hour energy but to me these are no more kick to it than a cup of coffee or tea.

NMBowhntr

Feb 2, 2012
Genesis Pure makes Energy with Wheat Grass. Actually a healthy, alkalinizing energy drink that provides up to 8hrs of mental focus and clarity. Comes in tropical punch and sugar-free grape. I gave up coffee over night for it and don't miss it!
Can get it at genesispure.com/mlrauch or get your own membership and save 45%.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I have tried the wilderness athlete stuff. It all taste crappy. You are better off going into a human powered store(ie triathalon) and getting some of there products. way better taste, more good stuff per package and not as much packiging as wilderness athlete.

Maineboy

Jan 15, 2012
Corvallis Oregon
I like c and wilderness athlete, Its what it dose for you after days of depleting your resources. With wilderness athlete I like to mix the hydrate and recover with energy and focus, I think its called a superman. It works for me, If I don't stay proactive with hydrating I will get headaches fast. I swet a lot.

LgHunter

Aug 21, 2012
I do a lot of backpacking in the off season and use Heed by Hammer nutrition. It is a powder comes in a couple of flavors. Kinda takes like flavored water. I mix it in my Camel back. Does the job.
LGHunter

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I thought that emergen-c tasted horrible. I would not want to be drinking that on a backpacking trip.. I do like the crystal lite packets, if nothing else, it gives the water some flavor.

Doe Nob- Where do you get the starbucks instant coffee? I've looked around a few local stores, and cannot find it.

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
I thought that emergen-c tasted horrible. I would not want to be drinking that on a backpacking trip.. I do like the crystal lite packets, if nothing else, it gives the water some flavor.

Doe Nob- Where do you get the starbucks instant coffee? I've looked around a few local stores, and cannot find it.
I've found mine at Starbucks in the past. They sell them there in my neck of the woods at least. Moca, French Roast and a few different other blends. +1 for me on them. A bit high in cost though but I like a cup of coffee in the morning so it was worth it for me.

Chippy Hacky

Jul 21, 2012
I get mine at Costco or Starbucks and have found it in the grocery store too. At Costco (of course) you have to buy a large pack of it but I love to have a cup in the a.m. and I also love to have a cup around noon when I take a break. Trust me, there is little better than being at 8k feet, cold to the bone, and being able to have a hot cup of coffee that (event though it is instant) can pass for decent coffee.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I ended up finding some at the local grocery store, kinda pricey for coffee, but I have a slight addiction to good coffee, so it's worth it.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I didn't think the Wilderness Athlete stuff tasted to bad. It was plenty strong the way they said to mix it so I put it in about 1/3 more water than they called for. Tasted fine to me and did seem to have some energy boost to it. I plan to take it on my antelope hunt next month.

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
I missed this thread!

CYTOMAX! The stuff is awesome. Has a good amount of carbs and lots of electrolites. I use it while on 100+ mile bike rides, and I'll definitely be using while backpack hunting this year. I like that it provides energy through carbs rather than sugar and caffeine (although I LOVE caffeine). Tastes really good too.