POW 2021

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
Ill be heading there for my very first bear hunt. I will be doing a DIY hunt renting a truck and skiff, looking for any tips I can get! I will have a hunting partner who will be his first bear hunt as well. We plan to do most of our hunting out of the skiff but will have a truck if need.

Reactions: LCH

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
You'll have a good time. I did it entirely off the road system a couple years ago and saw several bears.

Everyone says to be prepared for the rain, and I was, but the weather turned out beautiful and sunny for most of my trip.

What are your plans with your hides?

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
You'll have a good time. I did it entirely off the road system a couple years ago and saw several bears.

Everyone says to be prepared for the rain, and I was, but the weather turned out beautiful and sunny for most of my trip.

What are your plans with your hides?
Not sure, I will salt n flesh it and probably freeze and fly back with it? I am 99% I won't be doing a rug if I am successful, maybe a shoulder mount, a euro for sure.

bux4brainz

Jul 18, 2017
Utah
It's been several years since I hunted bears on POW but I had a great time & saw lots of bears. I'd love to go back someday. POW has the highest population density of black bears in the world. I stayed at Shelter Cove Lodge in Craig. The bears will be eating grasses in the spring to turn their stomachs after the hibernation. Look for the good green grasses along the beaches & river beds. Using a skiff is very effective. Once you see a bear along the beaches continue on downwind of the bear & out of sight then dock the skiff & go after the bear. Good luck!

Reactions: Bonecollector

wyominglawdog

Mar 10, 2011
Wyoming
Man I’m jealous, my 2020 hunt was canceled due to Covid. They moved my hunt permit to the spring of 2022. I use the Cabela’s Boundary Waters duffle bag to get my hide and skull home. It folds up in my suit case, so it’s easy to pack and it’s waterproof so it won’t leak.FD301FAC-6155-46B9-ABEA-D21BACD3316F.jpeg

Reactions: LCH

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I hunted PWS, we used skiffs to get around. Saw tons of bears. Different area, but I believe the same principles would apply. Have fun!