Poacher busted

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
What ever happens to him won't be enough. This guy has a history of wrong doings that goes back nearly 20 years. I used to work with him, trust me this isn't his first offense, just the first time he got caught. Nice work OSP, thanks for finally putting it all together.

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
Some people just don't get it! Wish more of these types would get caught! Just takes away from the law abiding individuals that want to do it right!

Sent from my iPhone

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO
I have never understood the idea of poaching a trophy class animal... I guess it is just greed. Killing big animals at their weakest time to me is not honorable. What does a guy think when he kills a magnificent, majestic animal out of season when it is at its most vulnerable time ?? I believe they are just killers and not conservationist. I could have killed the biggest buck I have had seen ( thirty years of deer hunting. ) this year but, it was 5 days after season closed while elk hunting in the 4th season. I really enjoyed watching him with his does doing his thing. This thing was a "delk" !!! I got to within 400 yards and was watching him through 15 power binos. He had to close to 36" wide typical 5x5 that would score lets say 220" .. His forks were 11" to 15" deep, eye guards 4" .. Just a great big, ol buck that you just don't see on national forest too offten. I sure would hate to see some jacka$$ poach him.

pmcgovern

Feb 11, 2014
Oregon
I'm with you, Alaska....... I was hunting elk on private land years ago and as I hunted a timbered ridge, I came to an opening and couldn't believe my eyes. The 2 biggest mule deer bucks I'd ever seen on the hoof. I was pretty young then and didn't know much about field judging deer but I'd say with great confidence that the biggest buck was 210"+ and his partner was 190"+. Heavy. Wide. Trashy. They had it all. And they were about 70 yards and didn't have a clue I was there. Would have been the easiest thing to whack one. But I didn't. I couldn't. I was raised better than that. It was just as enjoyable to sit there and watch these 2 studs for what seemed like hours. One of the neat things is I still hunt that same ridge. I still sit on the same stump. Never seen those boys again or heard of them being harvested. That is what hunting is all about, for me. The experience. The memories. The what if's and if only's. That's what keeps me coming back.

Wild Country

Jan 29, 2012
OR
It truly is sad to see poachers take these types of animals when our trophy hunting here in Oregon is already well below par with the other Western States! I think its Timberstalker who says friends don't let friends hunt Oregon and this major #$%^& is a good reason why!

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
It was Umpqua Hunter that said friend don let friends hunt Oregon first I believe. I don't understand poaching either nor do understand stealing sheds from a co worker, mounting them on a head and claiming you shot it legally 150 miles from where the sheds were stolen from. Yeah, he did that. I never believed a word that came out of his mouth after that. Pretty damn pathetic.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
They've been poaching rutted bucks in the Metolious since the early 80's when it was a Doe hunt. Won't stop till they get jail time, then they'll move to lesser patrolled areas.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Second biggest bull elk I ever seen was in my back yard in full velvet well before any season here opened. They do pass through now and then but there are not many elk around here so to say I was surprised when the dogs were acting funny and I went out the back door and there was a 300+ bull 50 yards away would be an understatement at best!! I could have killed that bull and put him in the freezer and no one ever would have known but I just dont see how anyone could kill an animal like that and have to hide it. When I kill an animal I want to be proud of it and if I cant be Im not going to do it.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
Did any of you go to the bottom of the link that the OP posted and read the one comment that some jackass made? If you haven't, go back and read it, as it will really have you shaking your head!

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
That comment is a head shaker for sure. That dude looked mad as heck in his mug shot, or he still had bitter beer face.

Last edited: