Please critique my caribou gear list

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
These kits get stored together but in separate gallon ziplock bags. Some items might need used between them, like taking tape from the repair kit to wrap up a wound. The sutures aren't something I want to use but I've sewed up livestock and they lived. They are as much for gear repair as anything. I fixed a stress point on one of my tarps by sandwiching it with Tenacious tape and sewing it together through the tape. I then put another piece of tape over the stitches to waterproof it. I think it may now be the stoutest part of my tarp.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Not sure how many people are going? Maybe I missed that. But I’d definitely have at least one pistol in the group. If you’re hunting in pairs, maybe one guy carry between the 2. At least, have one for in and around camp.
Is everybody bringing fishing gear? Maybe just have 1-2 sets of rods between everybody, unless fishing is high priority for everybody.

Reactions: mcseal2

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO
depends where you fly in at up there. A lot of hunting and air strips are on the top of ridges. Also there is a good chance of you getting snowed on.

Super glue instead of a bunch of band aids
Good multi tool
I take news paper to put in my boots every night to pull moisture out
10'x10' piece of tyvek
if you are going with others use a 2 burner coleman stove w/ propane
I take 2 pairs of fleece pants
3 fleece shirts
4 pairs of socks 2 liner socks
pair of NEOS pullover waders
Good rain gear
ball cap
stocking hat
silk scarf
good frame pack
I put all my food in a 5 gallon bucket & can use the bucket to sit on plus get water in it ( you will be packing water if you land on a ridge)
gloves

My list is 55 pounds to fly in a super cub.

Good luck & enjoy the hunt

Reactions: mcseal2 and JimP

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Big fan of gallon ziplocs here as well. I use them on literally every trip. Wet socks you don't want getting everything else wet? Ziploc. Backup pair of socks you want to make sure DON'T get wet? Ziploc. Cool fern your daughter insists we take home? Ziploc. Piece of backstrap to set aside for celebration dinner? Ziploc. Emergency water container? Ziploc. I always care 2-3 empty ones as extra just in case. They weigh almost nothing for the use you get out of them...

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
And the most important thing to place into a zip lock is TP along with a few wet wipes, not in the same bag.

Even in my truck the roll of TP is in a zip lock bag

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Thanks guys, lots of good tips.

Neos doesn't make the old River Trekker hip boots anymore do they? I would love to get a pair of those but have not been able to find them.

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Solid list.
I've been 3 times. Took the 10mm once but didn't bother after that.
Used a cot first trip. Again didn't bother after that. But does make a difference if things get really wet. Keeps you off the ground.
I might have missed it but I take a collapsible 2 5 gallon water jug. Accordion collapse that takes up about an inch and 10 inches across. Makes it easier keeping loaded up on water. Forget the brand but bought at walmart

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Make sure your pilot allows butane stoves, some don't. Technically some law about it.
I used a msr dragonfly with white gas.
And in a twist our pilot had never seen before we took 3 bundles of firewood. Don't have to worry about bringing it back and really made a difference having a fire every night. There was nothing really to burn in the tundra.
Wood weight was replaced with meat weight coming back. We only did 1 flight in and 1 out. Barely

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Good points.

One of our guys already asked out transporter about butane and we were good there. I like the firewood idea. If we have the weight allowance I might do that. We were bringing extra stove fuel since we figured firewood would be non-existent.

Reactions: hunter25

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO
Use Dura logs instead of fire wood.. But I betcha the transporter is going to land you on a ridge top. Lots of spruce trees there...

Small aircraft you can compressed fuel, BUT large air craft you can not bring compressed fuel.....

Also I forgot 3 must haves: a daily dose of BCAA ( branch chain amino acids) help the ol body recover, victory cigar, small bottle whiskey for a success shot.

I don't drink whiskey but when I do it is a victory shot or numb the pain from packing heavy loads of meat.. :geek:

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Looks like a well thought out list. Me personally, I wouldn't bother with the handgun when I have a .300 Winchester. I would leave it and add an Inreach or SAT phone.
I agree with this 100%. Why carry 3# of handgun when you’re already loaded for bear?

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I may be the oddball here but my plan was to carry both bear spray and a Glock20.
1)Practice with expired empty canisters using both hands to deploy the spray
2) Become very proficient and accurate with the Glock 20 and hard cast bullets

My gut feeling is I want to be 100% prepared and proficient in any situation. Day, night, hunting, fishing, packing meat, hiking etc etc. Maybe not carry the side arm when I'm hunting and have my rifle. That was my initial thought.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Yeah I agree that the handgun is probably not necessary, but its an item I want to take anyway. Even if I don't take the 10mm I will take a lighter 357, but for now the 10mm is going to make the weight limit. I could picture myself doing some fishing and leaving the rifle at camp or on the bank and wanting the handgun along then. Also I plan to have the rifle strapped to my pack in the Exo weapon carrier a lot and use 2 trekking poles, so at that time the handgun would be more accessible. I'll also sleep better in the tent with the handgun next to me.

Bear spray is a good idea, I just don't have experience with it. I also know I won't practice with it, and the wind is often wicked on the tundra from my research. The handgun is something I will practice with, and not nearly as susceptible to wind. My thinking is that if I don't have both I won't waste time in a bad situation deciding which to reach for. I'll go for the handgun if the rifle isn't easily accessible because that's what I have and have practiced with. The handgun will be a lot easier to maneuver in a tent also.

There is also the earlier mentioned part where this trip was the excuse to the wife to buy the 10mm. That means I have to take it or hide it, I don't want to explain that one to bad.

I've been practicing a lot with both the hardcast ammo (Underwood 200gr) that proved to hit closest to the sights and be the most accurate, and some cheaper Fiocchi 180gr HP ammo. The Fiocchi is full powered ammo and hits the same as the Underwood, plus it's only a few dollars a box higher than ball ammo when I catch it on sale. Out to 25 yards I shoot it pretty well even when I rush it. Inside 15 I shoot it really well. Past 25 yards I'm better with my 1911 10mm and it's better trigger, but I don't see myself shooting a bear in defense of myself at that range. The Glock is lighter, and seems slightly faster off recoil for follow up shots with it's polymer frame taking a bit of the recoil. I have good aftermarket fiber optic/tritium sights on it and a KKM 6" barrel that works well with hardcast ammo.

I know my practice in the back yard isn't the same as a charging bear at all, but it's better than nothing and is building familiarity with the gun and muscle memory. It's also fun, it gives me a reason to practice more with a handgun than I usually do.

If I get dropped in an area where any bear will be visible for a long time before he gets close to me the handgun can sit in camp. I don't have to pack it, but I want to have the option to at least this first trip.

Thanks guys for the advice, even if I don't take this portion of it. I hope my reasoning makes a little sense.

dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
Iv never been so im curious about the ammo do your buddys have the same caliber rifles as you and if you only bring 20 rounds and your scope gets bumped will 20 be enough

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have seen where a scope has been knocked off and resighted with just 3 shots. If it takes more odds are that the scope is finished.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
One of the other guys going with me shoots the same ammo from his 300 win mag. Between us we will have 40 rounds. There won't be an opportunity to check the rifle after we fly in unless we do it from camp and risk scaring caribou. I really don't like that, I much prefer to shoot the rifle after I get to where I'm going, but it's not an option here. I have a good scope and mounts that I have never had an issue with. If one of us has a rifle problem, we will have 3 rifles in camp. We will share the ones that work at that point.

We will have two 300 win mags shooting the Nosler factory 180gr E tip ammo, and one 7mm Rem Mag shooting 160gr Accubonds in Nosler factory ammo in camp.

Reactions: dustin ray

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
How did the Chota Hippies work out ?

I was contemplating using Chota hippies and Crocks for crossing streams when needed. What are your thoughts on that ? vice using a wading boot ?

We are limited to 60lbs