Pig hunting on private land

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
Quick question, though I knew the answer but...

I talked to a lady, her and her husband have a ranch out by Paso Robles. They have a pig problem, to the point that they have been getting depredation permits to kill them.

If I get a pig tag(s), can I hunt on their property with their (written) permission?

I was under the impression that I can, but she seems to think otherwise, but says if I can do it legally, they're open to the idea.

Thanks

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
DFG actually has a "land owner permission" slip or pad. You should be able to call the local field office or someone who teaches hunter safety classes. Then your landowner should be good. I make sure bayou field dress in a spot not seen opening or bury the gut pile. Good luck, nothing better eating!

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I agree. As long as you buy the tag you are good to go anywhere in the state with written permission by land owner.

quicknick

Oct 7, 2011
Atascadero, CA
Yes you can. You just cant hunt by depredation rules i.e. using a spotlight at night because you are not on the depredation permit. Do they have vineyards or barley?

I was born and raised in atascadero abd all my family is still there.

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
Actually, it depends on the size of their property and the proximity of neighbors buildings, etc. If it's a large piece of property......no brainer....good to go.

micropterus79

Jun 19, 2014
San Tan Valley, AZ
The crazy thing is you need a tag to kill pigs in Cali in the first place...everywhere else they are considered the invasive and destructive species that they are (but yes, mighty tasty!)