Pig hunt

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Ok, $500 for multipule hogs and guided.....that sounds more worth it. One pig hunt I would pay for is in texas... My buddy was workin out in texas and was telling me they have a helicopter hog hunt. That would be cool shootin them things out of a chopper, if I'm not mistaken he said it was around $500?

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Ok, $500 for multipule hogs and guided.....that sounds more worth it. One pig hunt I would pay for is in texas... My buddy was workin out in texas and was telling me they have a helicopter hog hunt. That would be cool shootin them things out of a chopper, if I'm not mistaken he said it was around $500?
Oh Hell ya that would be fun. I would pay about $500 for that. I'm always seeing FREE hog hunts in Texas too but I'm sure there is some catch to it.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I've been hunting Texas for the last 4 years. I hunted them in Calif when I lived ther, hunted near Hunter Liggett. Most of the Texas hunting is a lot different than Calif. Hunt in elevated blinds at food plots with feeders. (at least thats my experience) Pretty common there. I hunt on a friends property (no guide fees) and don't need a hunting license. Local game warden agrees that they are a "pest" and can be shot like vermin. Even if one was needed, it is less than $50.00 for NR. I have hunted in the fall when deer season is on and in the spring concurrent with turkey season. Shot pigs every time. Didn't want to hunt deer, but did shoot 4 tom turkeys in the last spring hunt, along with 2 hogs.One turkey weighed #23 gutted, had 1 1/2 spurs and a 11" beard....was a huge bird! I prefer to shoot pigs in the 125 to 200# range. This a great size for eating and I really can't tell much difference between a boar & sow. IMHO they are about as good eating wild animal as I have ever tasted. I am going back in April again!!

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I agree they are GREAT eating. Haven't killed any in Teas but did see them when I was there deer hunting. The 3 I've killed were in Ca. around Coalinga. There used to be a ton of pigs there on this ranch we hunted but the last few years they've moved out so we haven't been there in awhile. But they are on the way back in now so I hope to make it there this March. I don't care for the way we hunt them at this ranch. They are hunted in the headlites of a pickup truck at night on the run this method is the norm. We have taken 2 spot and stock which is my preferred method. No feeders but they like to eat hay that is stacked for the cattle so pretty much the same as a feeder. Also there is a lot of oil that seeps up through large pipes and the pigs like to rub their body's on the pipes covering themselves in oil. I guess to keep the bugs off. It's odd to have crude oil on your hands when gutting and capeing one of them that is covered in it.

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
I've been hunting Texas for the last 4 years. I hunted them in Calif when I lived ther, hunted near Hunter Liggett. Most of the Texas hunting is a lot different than Calif. Hunt in elevated blinds at food plots with feeders. (at least thats my experience) Pretty common there. I hunt on a friends property (no guide fees) and don't need a hunting license. Local game warden agrees that they are a "pest" and can be shot like vermin. Even if one was needed, it is less than $50.00 for NR. I have hunted in the fall when deer season is on and in the spring concurrent with turkey season. Shot pigs every time. Didn't want to hunt deer, but did shoot 4 tom turkeys in the last spring hunt, along with 2 hogs.One turkey weighed #23 gutted, had 1 1/2 spurs and a 11" beard....was a huge bird! I prefer to shoot pigs in the 125 to 200# range. This a great size for eating and I really can't tell much difference between a boar & sow. IMHO they are about as good eating wild animal as I have ever tasted. I am going back in April again!!
I used to hunt the Fort Hunter Liggett military base before 911 happened. I mostly hunted quail back then with some friends when we ran English Pointers and Lewellyn Setters. It is awesome quail country too. It has 162,000 acres and depending on if the military trains 130, 000 of it is open to hunting on the weekends. The areas get pretty torn up by the pigs but I'd tend to see more elk and quail. They charge a year pass fee now, $100 a year. It sounds like Texas has some great pig hunting too. Like CA, I'll gather the pig hunting tends to be best on the private land.