Picked up my "Free" Rifle today...

ChadH

Nov 22, 2011
Mount Rainier
The Cabelas Card finally indicated enough points for a "Free" gun so I made my selection today. Savage Long Range Hunter in .300 Winny. I'm not usually a fan of being beat to death by "big calibers" (I know, call me a wuss) but I have been wanting to try the new Accubrake personally. I had thought about the Bear Hunter, but with the 23" barrel I couldn't see going .300 Win. I would probably have purchased it if Cabelas had it in .300 WSM (kind of made for a short barrel), so that left me with the Long Range Hunter... Now to mount a scope and see how it shoots. It is the only .300 I have (or have ever had). I've been a fan of a lot of "smaller" calibers my whole life, now I live in the West and I guess I will follow the crowd :) and see how it works out. This makes Savage number 5 in my collection... the wife asks "How many guns does a guy need?" My answer is always "I have all I NEED, just not as many as I WANT." "And besides honey, the democrats want to take them all away...":D She will catch on to that one before long...

I also found a guy locally who was selling a set of Hornady Custom Dies in .300 win, an unopened box of 208 grain Hornady AMax bullets, and unopened can of H1000, a box of Hornady Custom 180 grain SST with 5 of them shoot, a half box of Rem Core Locs 180 gr, a bunch of Hornady brass, a Hornady COAL Gauge and .300 win Modified case, for $70.... I think I am set for a while.:cool:

Now if I could just find someone who wants to trade something fun for the Kimber 8400 Classic, in 7mmWSM, I have sitting in my safe (to pretty to actually take out and drag around the mountains) I would be all set for "Summer Time shooting and reloading Fun".

Last edited:

ChadH

Nov 22, 2011
Mount Rainier
The problem with the 7mm WSM is that unless you reload there is no bullet selection.
You must mean "ammo" selection as the same "bullets" are available for the 7 wsm as are available for all 7mm's. For sure there is not as wide a factory ammo selection or the 7wsm as for a .270 or .300, but Federal, Winchester, and a few others do sell several factory loads... all available at the "Big Box" stores. Both the Federal and Winchester Accubonds shoot well. Still, you are correct, reloaders have an advantage... however, I am not one that shoots only popular calibers so I can take advantage of available "factory ammo". Lots of people in the same position, realoading is fun and educational. Eventually I'll either sell it, trade it, or decide to shoot it in the field and live with the scratches... its just to pretty to actually hunt with (to me) and to heavy of a caliber (in such a light weight configuration as the 8400) to be FUN to shoot at the range... so it is kind of in the way.

I'm excited to shoot the .300 Muleys. I'll break in the barrel with the factory ammo I bought with the reloading dies, then try several factory loads as well as work up several hand loads, to see how she shoots. Should be fun at the very least.

dying to kill

Aug 20, 2012
oklahoma
im glad to hear someone else talking bout breaking in a new barrel, most of the time when i bring up breaking in a barrel to a buddy that just bought a new gun i get the deer in the head light look.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Anyone who reloads I consider a serious shooter. If you are interested enough to research reloading and try to develope the "best" load for any gun you own, you will quickly find out that every gun is different enough from it's production partner and each one will shoot one particular load better. This usually leads to learning more about guns and you will soon find out that a barrel needs to be broken in. I usually really clean a new barrel thoroughly, then take it to the range. I start with some pretty mild loads and clean the barrel after every shot for at least the first 10. Then I work into some hotter loads, making sure the barrel has really cooled down before every shot. After 20 total shots, I scrub down the barrel with a good bore cleaner (I like Sweets), scrubbing until the patch is completely clean. Thats about it for me.

I believe the reason this is necessary is that no matter how particular and how good the barrel manufacturer is, there are rough spots and slight variations in the finish of the rifling. My first custom rifle 50 years ago had an Apex barrel on a short Sako action and was a .22-250, which was a wildcat then. Apex was one of the premier custom match barrel mfgrs. The gunsmith who did my work put a borescope in the barrel and showed me what it looked like, which looked a little rough. We actually lapped the barrel with light valve grinding compound before I shot it. Todays barrels are much better quality and the materials used are really superior. But IMHO, they still need to be broken in.

enysse

Oct 31, 2011
New Holstein, WI
ChadH, you are correct I meant ammo in factory loads.
About 15 years ago the 7mm STW was popular, today you never hear about it. 7 WSM is really an efficient caliber.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Well CC,

I don't have your years of experience but I have broken in a few rifles. While I agree that shooting works out minor barrel imperfections, and barrels shoot their best after some "breaking in," I think that cleaning rituals are mostly voodoo. It seems that even the big barrel manufacturers can't come to an agreement about it. I have done the frequent cleaning break-in, but now I just clean after the first 20 rounds, and clean as needed from there. I haven't ruined a barrel yet with that method, but that's me.

Anyone who reloads I consider a serious shooter. If you are interested enough to research reloading and try to develope the "best" load for any gun you own, you will quickly find out that every gun is different enough from it's production partner and each one will shoot one particular load better. This usually leads to learning more about guns and you will soon find out that a barrel needs to be broken in. I usually really clean a new barrel thoroughly, then take it to the range. I start with some pretty mild loads and clean the barrel after every shot for at least the first 10. Then I work into some hotter loads, making sure the barrel has really cooled down before every shot. After 20 total shots, I scrub down the barrel with a good bore cleaner (I like Sweets), scrubbing until the patch is completely clean. Thats about it for me.
ChadH,

I think you are going to really like that new rifle, other than the noise of the brake.

ChadH

Nov 22, 2011
Mount Rainier
ChadH,

I think you are going to really like that new rifle, other than the noise of the brake.
I think so too Matt. The reason I wanted to try the LRH was because of the Accu Brake and the option of limiting recoil at the range and the noise factor in the field. I like the idea of being able to turn the dang thing off. I am also quite curious as to whether the POI changes with the on/off function of the brake. Logic would say it would, but I've had several people I trust tell me it didn't on their guns (and a couple tell me it did, the biggest change was noted at 3" left, but all in a nice tight group). So I am really curious to see it in action. Like I said, at least in my sometimes twisted logic, it seems to me it would have to change some, but then I thought the Nikon BDC reticle for the TC Muzzleloaders was a joke and wouldn't work, until I tried one and dang if it didn't work GREAT. So that shows what I know. I the other reason I went with another Savage, along with just liking them, is that they keep coming out with, what in my mind are, "innovations". The Accu Trigger, Accu stock, Accu brake ... are all cool things usually reserved for a more custom build, but Savage introduces them for a "non-custom" rifle that the average guy can afford. I like giving my hard earned money to a company that thinks out of the box a bit. And as I KNOW that you KNOW... they just flat shoot good.

BobT

Dec 1, 2011
Missouri Ozarks
So, how many Savages would you take for the Kimber? I'm a big Savage fan myself but I like the pretty ones too! Nice choice on the LRH!

Bob

ChadH

Nov 22, 2011
Mount Rainier
I've posted this a cpl times when Savages get talked about. I don't own one but do own a Rem 700. 200 shots thru the 700 to get it figured out and it still isn't close to a LRH. I hope yours shoots as well as this one. A Cabelas/Savage 6.5 will be my next rifle purchase.

200 yards from the LRH:

View attachment 5167

The full story:
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID22/3147.html#.USJe52fijDc
Isn't that something? I see posts like that a lot, peoples Savage rifles that shoot great. That pretty much reflects what all of mine shoot as well. My .270 weather warrior shoots 3 different factory offerings just like that (that gun doesn't seem to care what bullet you put in it, it just shoots it and watches you smile afterwards). My sons .243 shoots Federal Premium Game Kings sub MOA (I never tried another load once I saw how well it shot), the other .243 I bought shoots great, and the 99 that I have (grandfathers deer rifle) shoots great and it was made in the 1940's. Personally I have never really understood the "yea, but they are SO UGLY" crowd... I don't think they are ugly (with the exception of the wood quality on some of the 70's and 80's guns... but the early 70's wasn't a real great time frame for "craftsmanship" in the wood category from other gun makers either). And to be honest, even if they were ugly, shooting GOOD is the number 1 requirment for me. I've had several "pretty" guns that didn't shoot well... I no longer own them, and I can't even remember their names.

ChadH

Nov 22, 2011
Mount Rainier
So, how many Savages would you take for the Kimber? I'm a big Savage fan myself but I like the pretty ones too! Nice choice on the LRH!

Bob
Thanks Bob....

How many Savages do you have to offer ;)

In all seriousness, I never posted that about the Kimber to try and trade it here... I think it would be to big a hassle to do out of state and all.... but it is kind of redundant and those Savages do shoot SOOO good, it's hard to stay clear of them. Then again, my other love affair is the pre 64 model 70.... truly I only ever bought the Kimber because it belonged to a guy who was having some financial troubles and needed the money. He had never shot it and it was still in the box. I wanted to try and help him out before he took it to Cabelas and tried to sell it for half what it was worth (if that)... I really didn't need it or want it at the time, and now it just needs to go bye bye... I'll come across someone locally one day that has something I like and we will make a trade. To bad I don't still live in MO Bob.... we could spread out the trade blanket ourselves. How is the Show Me State these days?

Halo

Feb 18, 2013
Grays Harbor County
Gotta love the Savages, I have a 116FCSAK in 30-06 and love it. Accu-brake works great, no change in point of impact, still sub moa. When I drew a Wyoming bison tag last year I ran out and bought the bear hunter in .338 Win Mag and a Leupold 4&1/2-14X50 CDS. After beaking in and trying a ton of different factory rounds I found a couple that shot great, the Federal Premium with the 210 grain Nosler Partition and the 225 grain Barnes bullet, both sub moa. That accu-brake really shines on the .338, I would much rather shoot 30 rounds through it with the brake open than 3 rounds with it closed. Not much of a difference in the noise level open or closed, fairly loud both ways. A much bigger difference in noise level open or closed with my 30-06.

ChadH

Nov 22, 2011
Mount Rainier
Well CC,

I don't have your years of experience but I have broken in a few rifles. While I agree that shooting works out minor barrel imperfections, and barrels shoot their best after some "breaking in," I think that cleaning rituals are mostly voodoo. It seems that even the big barrel manufacturers can't come to an agreement about it. I have done the frequent cleaning break-in, but now I just clean after the first 20 rounds, and clean as needed from there. I haven't ruined a barrel yet with that method, but that's me.
I kind of have "My Own Method"... which is basically what you just said Matt. I do think it takes a bit for the "rough spots" to work out of a barrel, but have no empirical data to prove that.... I saved this article from Gale McMillan some time ago, and filled it in my "Shooting and Reloading" file. I found it interesting:

How to Break-in a Barrel
-- A Dissenting Point of View

Gale McMillan, of McMillan Stocks fame, was one of the finest barrel-makers and benchrest shooters of all time. Here he argues that elaborate barrel break-in procedures do more harm than good.

Comments collected from Gale's Gun Forum postings.

As a barrel maker I have looked in thousands of new and used barrels with a bore scope and I will tell you that if every one followed the prescribed [one shot, one clean] break-in method, a very large number would do more harm than good. The reason you hear of the gain in accuracy is because if you chamber a barrel with a reamer that has a dull throater instead of cutting clean sharp rifling it smears a burr up on the down wind side of the rifling. It takes from one to two hundred rounds to burn this burr out and the rifle to settle down and shoot its best. Any one who chambers rifle barrels has tolerances on how dull to let the reamer get and factories let them go longer than any competent smith would.

Another tidbit to consider--take a 300 Win Mag that has a life expectancy of 1000 rounds. Use 10% of it up with your break-in procedure. For every 10 barrels the barrel-maker makes he has to make one more just to take care of the break-in. No wonder barrel-makers like to see this. Now when you flame me on this please [explain] what you think is happening to the inside of your barrel during the break in that is helping you.

Consider this: every round shot in breaking-in a barrel is one round off the life of said rifle barrel. No one has ever told me the physical reason of what happens during break-in firing. In other words what, to the number of pounds of powder shot at any given pressure, is the life of the barrel. No one has ever explained what is being accomplished by shooting and cleaning in any prescribed method. Start your barrel off with 5 rounds and clean it thoroughly and do it again. Nev Maden, a friend down under that my brother taught to make barrels was the one who came up with the [one shot one clean] break-in method. He may think he has come upon something, or he has come up with another way to sell barrels. I feel that the first shot out of a barrel is its best and every one after that deteriorates [the bore] until the barrel is gone. If some one can explain what physically takes place during break-in to modify the barrel then I may change my mind. As the physical properties of a barrel don't change because of the break-in procedures it means it's all hog wash. I am open to any suggestions that can be documented otherwise if it is just someone's opinion--forget it.

It all got started when a barrel maker that I know started putting break-in instructions in the box with each barrel he shipped a few years ago. I asked him how he figured it would help and his reply was if they shoot 100 rounds breaking in this barrel that's total life is 3000 rounds and I make 1000 barrels a year just figure how many more barrels I will get to make. He had a point; it definately will shorten the barrel life. I have been a barrel maker a fair amount of time and my barrels have set and reset benchrest world records so many times I quit keeping track (at one time they held 7 at one time) along with High Power, Silhouette, Smallbore national and world records and my instructions were to clean as often as possible preferably every 10 rounds. I inspect every barrel taken off and every new barrel before it is shipped with a bore scope and I will tell you all that I see far more barrels ruined by cleaning rods than I see worn out from normal wear and tear. I am even reading about people recommending breaking-in pistols. As if it will help their shooting ability or the guns'.

BobT

Dec 1, 2011
Missouri Ozarks
How is the Show Me State these days?
Things are still pretty good here I suppose.

I spent a lot of time with a LRH in .300 Winchester last year, it belongs to my son-in-law. It responded very well to the 180 grain Accubond and H1000. I have always had good luck with the Savages, some are better than others just like any other brand but I've never gotten a lemon.

Bob