Packs for women.....reviews?

WYrider

May 11, 2011
Rozet, WY
My wife bought the badlands calipack a few months ago. It fits her well other than it is still just a touch to large on the waist belt. Should be ok with a winter coat on. As for overnight, its not the largest. Not sure if it will fit a sleeping bag plus. Its a good day pack though. I have a larger blacks creek pack. I am going to downsize this year because i tend to fill my pack with as much stuff as it will hold. For a day pack I don't need 20 lbs of stuff. Smaller the better I am going with this year.

Leveller

Jul 17, 2011
Oregon
Thanks WYrider - appreciate the feedback. I understand that on this pack Badlands will adjust the waist belt to fit if it is too big. Even if you have been using it sometime and contact them they will do this, so your wife might want to give that a shot.

Of the packs I listed the Badlands has a far greater cubic capacity than the Black Creeks SHE pack, which is very new on the market and I can't find a review anywhere. I did contact She Outdoors and offer to trial and review it for them though :p I love their clothing line and it works great.

Again, thanks for letting me know your wife's experience with this - very helpful.

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
I use the Badlands SuperDay pack and absolutely love it.. It fits me nicely, I have a very small like torso.. I'm very short Haha and most packs are waaaay too long on me but this one is not. There are so many different spots to adjust it and everything that I have it fit to me just perfectly.

Leveller

Jul 17, 2011
Oregon
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

@OR ARcher - does the G2 accommodate carrying a rifle? I see it states it does for a bow...

OR Archer

May 27, 2011
Eugene, OR
www.facebook.com
It could carry a rifle as well if strapped to the pack correctly. It doesn't have a "boot" like other packs to slip the buttstock into but the straps are small enough to be able to hold the stock firmly for packing.

dead river

Mar 20, 2011
NC
My wife just sent her Cali pack to Scheels for a return. The way the fabric of the shoulder straps come together in a radius was rubbing the back of her neck in our shake down trip two weeks ago. I am going to just order her an eberlestock side scabbard and we will figure out a way to put it on one of her gregory or or her Dana Designs regualar backpacks.

Someone in the market need to actually make a decent size back pack for women since they are the fastest growing segment of the hunting community. In traditional backpacks, women have 4-6000 ci packs to choose from. The torso is shorter, the waist belt smaller and the overall width a little more narrow, but gregory, arcteryx, dana, etc. all make womens packs that can actually tote a big load (tent, sleeping bag, pad, stove, food, bladder...). Other than clothing, my wife pretty much has to carry what I carry on an extended trip, which means 4000 ci.

She tried a friends eberlestock X1A1 with the small harness and it worked very well, though smaller than what we desire for this extended trip. Hopefully, someone will put out a larger pack for women soon.

I will take some pics of how well it works, or doesnt work, with the eberlestock side scabbard locked in the compression straps of her gregory deva pack.

Leveller

Jul 17, 2011
Oregon
Someone in the market need to actually make a decent size back pack for women since they are the fastest growing
I resemble that remark :p

Seriously though I couldn't agree more! With my Badlands Cali I have to strap my sleeping bag in plastic to the bottom outer straps - it's a featherlite so packs down to 12x8". The 2600ci contains the rest and I use the vented space for waterproofs & game bags, keeping a comfortable cushion against my back. Not perfect but works.

dead river

Mar 20, 2011
NC
Haha. Could have worded that a little better!

Yeah, my wife is always rigging stuff like that too. Het attitude this weekend was "lets just figure out how to make my real backpack work on our NM hunt". I think she has given up on a big hunting pack till someone has something new....

I have to make sure to weight her down since she is in 10X better shape than I am.:cool: