Packing your pack properly!

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
A little help heading into the spring bear season, and summer scouting trips.

[video=youtube;0I3XzyCxpl4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I3XzyCxpl4[/video]

Hunting veterans, how do you pack your pack?

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Part 2
[video=youtube;SJRmtF5k19Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJRmtF5k19Y[/video]

Last edited:

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Give us feedback too guys! Let us know any other topics we can do a video on!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
Good stuff!

Maybe a video on mid level photography (I assume you guys have issues with poor images submitted for the magazine). I know it would be hard to do, but I think a lot of people would benefit from understanding ISO, Aperture, etc and their relations to sunlight and lack of. Basically a hunters crash course in outdoor photography. In the Eastmans books they have some good tips, but sometimes a video using a common camera and showing before and after pics really helps.

Then a cool follow up would be basic editing using tablets, computers, etc.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Good stuff!

Maybe a video on mid level photography (I assume you guys have issues with poor images submitted for the magazine). I know it would be hard to do, but I think a lot of people would benefit from understanding ISO, Aperture, etc and their relations to sunlight and lack of. Basically a hunters crash course in outdoor photography. In the Eastmans books they have some good tips, but sometimes a video using a common camera and showing before and after pics really helps.

Then a cool follow up would be basic editing using tablets, computers, etc.
Let me give it some thought. Might be able to do something.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Good video learned a lot.

I know it was a topic on the forum but maybe a video on how to take care of meat and hide in the field. Just a thought.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

RockChucker30

Feb 22, 2014
Tennessee
I'll add a couple points. First, on load distribution ideally about 70% of the weight in the pack will be close to your back, and distributed vertically between the middle of your back and 2-4 inches over your shoulders. The rest of the space can be filled with high volume - low weight items such as insulation.

Secondly, I have gotten to the point that too many pockets is worse than too few. Have one large pocket with all your frequently used gear and you don't have to look through 6-7 pockets to see where you put something. I find it to be faster and easier.

Guy touched on food. I really prefer highly calorie dense foods on the trail, which usually means a high fat content. Also, for whatever reason, when backpacking I have little appetite even though I'm burning a lot of calories. Many people I talk to have experienced the same thing. To combat this, count the calories in your daily food bag and make sure you're getting enough to keep your energy levels up.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
I'll add a couple points. First, on load distribution ideally about 70% of the weight in the pack will be close to your back, and distributed vertically between the middle of your back and 2-4 inches over your shoulders. The rest of the space can be filled with high volume - low weight items such as insulation.

Secondly, I have gotten to the point that too many pockets is worse than too few. Have one large pocket with all your frequently used gear and you don't have to look through 6-7 pockets to see where you put something. I find it to be faster and easier.

Guy touched on food. I really prefer highly calorie dense foods on the trail, which usually means a high fat content. Also, for whatever reason, when backpacking I have little appetite even though I'm burning a lot of calories. Many people I talk to have experienced the same thing. To combat this, count the calories in your daily food bag and make sure you're getting enough to keep your energy levels up.

I agree with most of your points, though loading a pack correctly starts with a properly fitted pack. I do like smaller pockets for smaller lite weight items, but those large pockets are easy to alter your weight distribution and make things hectic.

Knowing how to walk and hike correctly for your body posture is a key as well, I see way too many people slunched over...man do I feel sorry for them. Knowing how to use trekking poles is cool too, though I need to start using them more often.

As for food, Im with you. I do not eat no where near enough calories when I hike, oddly enough I do not loose much weight either. I do train a bit, which I think helps with me not loosing weight (muscle). I do try to eat high fat foods (ramen/snickers) and protein (jerky). IMO our bodies are designed to endure this type of stress (like the intermitting fasting regimes). Water is the #1 nutrient and that makes all the difference for me.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
Good video learned a lot.

I know it was a topic on the forum but maybe a video on how to take care of meat and hide in the field. Just a thought.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Guy has a video on the gutless method on youtube somewhere, its pretty good.

2rocky

Sep 10, 2012
Good start Guy.

I'm a fan of Color coded Stuff sacks. I know my cooking gear and food is in an orange sack. My day snacks are in my blue sack. Extra socks hat and gloves are in a green sack, Kill Kit black sack, etc. etc. Rain Jacket is top of the sack for those quick moving storms, and the pants go in the sleeping bag compartment on the bottom 3rd. sometimes Fluffy stuff in a more flexible looser stuffsack will conform to corners of the bag better than a ultra compact hard round packed rock.

External pockets: Once I get past 3 tend to be too confusing looking for stuff.

Also I usually have the tripod on the side opposite the spotting scope. the lighter of the two goes on the rifle side.

Biggest challenge is Hydro reservoir placement. I like it between my shoulder blades but few packs have a dedicated sleeve or at least one with the correct dimensions there.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
2Rocky, we actually talked about Hydration placement when we shot the video. However, the video was pretty long and we may cover it in a water filtration video at some point.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I had to put my 3 liter bladder in one of the side pockets in the J34. The new Kifaru has a dedicated bladder pocket on the inside right in the middle of the back which is perfect. It also has a place to hang the bladder instead of just placing it in the pocket. My three liter fits like a glove in the compartment.:cool:

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
Im wondering about cookware when using a jetboil? do you take a fry pan and related for things not dehydrated?also what do you recomend for a water filter set up?do you use water bottles or a hydration bladder or both?also do you use the jetboil for occational tent heat if needed?{im sure its not overly recomended because of c o danger} but if your cold and a storm comes in you gotta do what it takes or get out of there.on a 3 day winter hunt is 30 lb a ok weight or should it be less as a tearget weight? thanks