Packing with goats

I have not, but there's a guy, gila dog, who posts often on BushcraftUSA.com and on some other similar sites who has goats and packs with them regularly in New Mexico. You might want to look at his posts and contact him directly. Just go to bushcraftUSA.com and search for packgoats.

Last edited:

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I've also checked out the above site and thought it would be pretty cool to try them. Also thought of dogs too. Mountain dogs or Saint Benard

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
How much maintenance are they to hunt with Montana?
They really are pretty easy. You do not have to pack food or water for them, that part is nice. They can carry around 35-40 pounds on each of them. I know I am going to get teased on this one but I hunt alone quite a bit and they are actually fun to have around camp, not that way:) Tremendous to have around kids and the family. It's a bit of a controversial but I will not lie, they are outstanding decoys and allow you to really get in on game.

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
Do you have to keep them on leashes or tied off all the time? Or do they follow you like dogs?

Also jonboy. In guy eastmans book "hunting high country mule deer" he talks about using pack goats. I'm pretty sure its that book. if not its cam hanes book. Backcountry bowhunting.

Last edited:

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
When hiking no leashes... At night it just depends on what country I am in. 2 years ago I was in a basin and the wolves were howling like crazy. That night I tied them up close to the tent, the first time ever, it saved their life. I know of at least 2 wolves that came in and attacked one of the goats. It was over in seconds, by the time I got to my pistol and opened the tent they were gone. If the goats weren't tied up they would have ran away and of course they would have been too far away for me to scare away the wolves. Aside of that crazy incident, they usually are off the leash but still sleep within 50 yards of the tent.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I think that would be one of the pluses, not that any one would want to see their goat die, but I like the idea of a predator eating my goat before me!

nebowhunter

Mar 10, 2011
Northeast Nebraska
I've had great luck myself. But I had a bad deal of luck with some domestic dogs killing 3 out of five of my goats while I was away from camp. But I won't give up I'll do it again.