packing deboned meat

Jul 27, 2011
Wyoming
when you guys pack out deboned meat, do you try to keep the meat seperate? i've always heard that to have the best meat possible you need to keep it from touching other pieces of meat. it seems to me that to pack out a deboned deer in one trip you would have to have some of the cuts touching eachother. i've never deboned an animal and packed it, any help would be great.

Last edited:

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I just stuff the cuts together in a game bag (I like the cheap Allen/Remington washable type). Never had a problem. I don't drag anything anymore, and I don't field dress them either. Call it Alaskan-style or gutless field deboning or whatever; it is the way to go.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
All the meat lived inside the animal touching just fine up till you shot it....it will be just fine touching in a bag on the way out.
Good meat is meat that in processed in a timely manner. Deboning fast will get rid of that gamey taste and help prevent spoiling from the bone.
Some old timers tell you to hang it and age it....but honestly the best flavor I have had is shot, deboned and in the freezer same day.

mmac1318

Mar 9, 2011
New Boston ,MI
Yeah not sure what it would matter if the cuts touched seems like that info would be incorrect but I do try to keep my burger/sausage meat in 1 bag and steaks/roasts in others. This is just to make it easier on me when I go to process it. I think WolfalonID is right getting rid of all the bone,silver skin,fat helps the taste much better than aging.

Jul 27, 2011
Wyoming
Bitterroot, i'm a bit curious about gutless deboning. how do you do it? obviously you don't spend any time with the field dressing and i can kind of guess about deboning the shoulders and hind quarters, but what about the flank and ribs? seems to me that it could get messy, especially when you're removing the flank meat.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Bitterroot, i'm a bit curious about gutless deboning. how do you do it? obviously you don't spend any time with the field dressing and i can kind of guess about deboning the shoulders and hind quarters, but what about the flank and ribs? seems to me that it could get messy, especially when you're removing the flank meat.
Absolutely not messy at all. Much, much cleaner than traditional dressing. There are several videos available on how to do it. One is called "The gutless solution". All of the meat is on the outside of the ribcage, except the tenderloins, and you can get them too!

Basically, you skin one side of the animal while it is on its side. Remove the front quarter and debone. Remove the backstrap. Remove the rear quarter and debone. Remove flank and neck meat. Push on the paunch, and sneak your hand in to get the tenders. Flip the critter, and repeat. Use the hide as a clean working surface. What you are left with is all of the meat in your gamebags and the clean ribcage sitting there with the intact entrails inside. Very slick.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Yes that video shows it very well. I have also seen a youtube video called "going gutless" I believe. I think I will be trying my hand at it this fall to see it work for me. Sounds clean on an elk sized bugger.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Oh yeah, no need for a saw either.

Here is a video from the ELK101 boys:

[video=youtube;2E4PCzDRkUA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E4PCzDRkUA&feature=related[/video]

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
TY BR. Thats exactly the video I was thinking of. I liked it so much I am going to attempt it this year.....Will have to follow up on how well I did first go at it.

Jul 28, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
the only problem I have had deboning is that there is more trimming away brown stuff when you go to process. You dont lose too much more, but there is a certain amount of loss. I know some guys just through the brown trimmings in the grind, but sometimes I feel uncomfortable doing this.