Pack List for 8 Nights

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
I don't have much to add to the food list topic, but I have one question. What is the gum for?? I avoid things like gum and jerky that make you salivate excessively because i think it burns up precious hydration. Does this make any sense, or is this just another weird idea that I get in head?

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
For me it's just one of those items. Probably could go without but I just don't like my breath smelling like a goat. And also it kind of revives me at times for whatever reason. Probably the sugar. As for the jerky I have the same reserve and asked the same question but I enjoy solid food with good flavor. I just hope its not like the country ham my grandma used to make for breakfast, that stuff would have you walking around the yard with the garden hose running because you would be so thirsty.

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
I don't have much to add to the food list topic, but I have one question. What is the gum for?? I avoid things like gum and jerky that make you salivate excessively because i think it burns up precious hydration. Does this make any sense, or is this just another weird idea that I get in head?
I use gum cause I get cotton mouth fairly quickly, doesn't really matter how hydrated I stay. I would think the jerky would be a great source of protein.

az.mountain runner

May 22, 2012
Mesa Az.
I stop and bought two meals a week, until I tried them all, I made a list, of which ones I liked, which ones were ok and of course the ones that didn't make the list, but I also added which ones I liked that I thought were to messy to eat in the tent, so I could make sure and eat them during good weather, didn't have any restroom issues with any of them, I'm not a hard candy eater but I do take some hard peppermint with me, one for mouth order and two for climbing steep terrain to help keep water consumption down.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
Here is my file I'm working on where I rate the backpacking meals I've tried. I tested these at home so I knew what I wanted on trips. Tortillas, hard cheese like the Hickory Farms smoked cheddar blend, and instant taters can make a more tasty and hearty meal for evenings. They also add weight so it's a personal choice. I've also taken single serving spam slices and ate them with cheese on tortillas for a lunch. Frying spam creates a pretty strong odor, may not be best in bear country or in your bowhunting clothes though. Tortillas with peanutbutter and honey also make a snack or lunch that will fuel me for a long afternoon.

Mountain house meal review

BEST
-Chicken breast w/ rib meat
-Chicken fajita filling (added some cheese and on tortillas, Great! Also would be good w/ rice) -Chicken & noodles (darn good by itself, or a real filling meal over mashed taters.)

OK (edible but not my favorites)
lasagna
beef stew (good w/ extra burger)
chicken teriyaki
Macaroini & cheese was decent, noodles were a little hard. Lots of extra cheese that could be used on mashed taters or something.
Sweet & sour pork and rice best of the ones I ranked decent, good flavor pork doesn’t rehydrate as well as chicken. Beef either.

BAD
-Beef stroganoff

Backpacker’s pantry reviews
Fettuchini alfredo w/ chicken very good
Colorado Omlette terrible, only ate 2 bites.
Dark chocolate cheesecake ok at best. Nothing special.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
The Beef stroganoff is my favorite mountain house. Maybe because its usually cheaper. lol I usually mix some instant mashed potatoes into it.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I love beef stroganoff made with fresh meat, but haven't really found any of the Mtn House meals I like the dehydrated burger in. Maybe I need to do something better to get it to rehydrate fully, or maybe I'm just to picky. I'm a full-time rancher and eat a lot of really good home raised beef. I can't expect dehydrated mtn house to match that for flavor. I don't each much chicken except in the backpacking food so I'm not giving the dehydrated stuff an unfair comparison.

eastmont

Feb 28, 2014
In my research when your 8 miles in and have been hiking/hunting/packing all day ANY mountain house is freaking delicious, especially with a touch of tobasco.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
In my research when your 8 miles in and have been hiking/hunting/packing all day ANY mountain house is freaking delicious, especially with a touch of tobasco.
I agree. I took Tabasco with me to add a little spice and loved it. In fact I enjoyed most all my backcountry dehydrated meals. Some better than others but all were filling.

Horniac

Jul 14, 2011
NorCal
I might have missed some of these on your list so forgive me if I did;

Headlamp with extra batteries
Compass to backup GPS
Survival gear (i.e. space blanket, whistle, etc)
Also, you have game bags so not sure why you would need 4 hefty bags?
Sat phone or Spot system if you don't have cell service
Possibly trekking poles depending on terrain
Map
Wind powder
Surveyor flagging to mark blood trail, etc

Horniac

mtnrunner260

Aug 14, 2011
Matt,
How did your gear and food work out? Was there anything that you wish you had or anything you should have left behind?
How did the hunt go?

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Matt,
How did your gear and food work out? Was there anything that you wish you had or anything you should have left behind?
How did the hunt go?
Everything went well from the camping and food side of things. Two small fuel canisters was more than enough for one jetboil and cooking for two people for 6 days. Had plenty too eat. Tabasco, salt and pepper, and mayonnaise packets to add to tuna really help.
One thing I wish I had was a rifle. Haha. Couldn't close the deal with the bow. Had a shot but was a poor one and a long way away. The elk were bunched up together and difficult to find. Once we found them then we were able to pattern them a bit. It was fun. Heck of an adventure and would love to head back. Just love being in the high country. Oh and I wish I had actually logged my campsite in my GPS the first night cause we spent the next night out next to a fire under the stars. Didn't get much good sleep but adds to the story.

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
I think you might get really hungry. I like taking payday bars olive oil and peanut butter and jelly bagels for extra food. If I eat to many mountain house meals I wake up in the middle of the night with the salt sweats.

pre6422hornet

Nov 16, 2014
Not sure if you looked into a water filtration system or not. I spent 4.5 days in the Pecos wilderness elk hunting this past fall, 5.5 miles in from the truck. I the only water I boiled was for the Mountain House meals and a small cup of coffee in the morning. All my drinking water came from a Sawyer Mini filter. I used it inline in my camelbak and at night while waiting for the water to boil on the MSR pocket rocket, I would disconnect the lower portion of the hose ( with the bit valve) and let it gravity filter into a Nalgene bottle so I had clean water to drink during the night, brush teeth, etc..

It performed flawlessly. I cleaned it on the first night even though it didn't need it, and then used it 3.5 days in a row and never had loss of flow or anything. I carried a spare as well just in case.

It would filter a gallon of water by gravity in 15 minutes ( timed it at home).

The only precaution was not letting it freeze at night. I would disconnect it completely, blow it out, then wrap it in a clean wool sock and stuff it in my daypack. It got down to the mid 20's at night and all was good.

Sure is fun ( and stressfull) packing for such a trip. I only packed for 6 days ( one day before season and 5 days of season) and I had a tough time. 8 would have killed me!!