Pack List for 8 Nights

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Here is my list for 8 nights in the backcountry. Tell me the changes you suggest.

FOOD: 7 Mountain House Meals.
3 breakfast Mountain House Meals.
5 packets of Tuna in foil packages.
4 Isagenix protein bars.
8 rice crispy treats
2 bags of jerky
40 pieces of gum
Gonna take at least one hoagie sandwich on way in for first day. Did this one other year and really enjoyed it.

CLOTHING:
Sitka Timberline Pants(On me)
Sitka merino base(On me)
UnderArmour Heat Gear loose fit(On me)
Smart wool Socks(On me)
Lowa Tibets(On me)
Sitka Gaiters(On me)
Clothes in pack will be Sitka merino long underwear, Sitka Traverse tops and bottoms, 3 pair of merino underwear,
2 pair Smartwool socks, Sitka Primaloft jacket, gloves, facemask, and toboggan.

SLEEPING SYSTEM:
REI Taj3 Tent
Marmot 15 degree sleeping bag...I get cold at night.
Thermarest pad
Small Tarp

FIRST AID and MISCELLANOUS
Leukotape
Motrin and Tylenol
Moleskin
Bandaids
Gauze Pads
Small duct tape roll
Small bottle of soap
Small packs of toothpaste
Deodorant
Game bags
Unscented wipes
Toilet paper
Vaseline soaked cotton balls
GPS
Rangefinder
Map
Spray bottle
Citric acid
Lighter

CALLS:
Hooch Mama
Hyper Lip Single
Bugling Bulls Mouth Calls

COOKING SYSTEM and WATER:
Jet Boil
Plastic fork and knife
Water Bladder(70oz)
Iodine
2 cans of fuel

Things I plan on wearing are my knife and binoculars. I also have rain cover for backpack, zip ties, pen, license/tag, and 4 hefty garbage bags

jjenness

Very Active Member
Sep 30, 2011
Lewistown, MT
I would add some fiber pills for helping with the mountain house digestion, also check out the Aquamira water treatment drops. They work fast and don't give you the iodine taste in your water, and I think it helps with the taste. Add a camera, some paracord and a back up release and you should be darn near good to go.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I think you will starve if you dont do some fishing! HAHA. I would have 2 energy bars for each day plus a couple extra incase you have to stay an extra night for some reason. I like the foil packed tuna for lunch but am curious why you dont have 1 for each day? Same with mountain house meals. For breakfast I like poptarts or sometihng like that you dont have to cook since I am always out glassing before I have breakfast. I also like to take some packs of peanut butter crackers. I would also highly recommend a water filter and rain gear.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
I would add some fiber pills for helping with the mountain house digestion, also check out the Aquamira water treatment drops. They work fast and don't give you the iodine taste in your water, and I think it helps with the taste. Add a camera, some paracord and a back up release and you should be darn near good to go.
Forgot to mention the GoPro camera and the 50' of paracord. Not sure I need fiber. I ate the chili Mac MH meal the other day and it had no problem duplicating itself out the other end. Lol. As for the iodine I also have the other bottle that removes the iodine taste. Thanks for recommendations.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
I think you will starve if you dont do some fishing! HAHA. I would have 2 energy bars for each day plus a couple extra incase you have to stay an extra night for some reason. I like the foil packed tuna for lunch but am curious why you dont have 1 for each day? Same with mountain house meals. For breakfast I like poptarts or sometihng like that you dont have to cook since I am always out glassing before I have breakfast. I also like to take some packs of peanut butter crackers. I would also highly recommend a water filter and rain gear.
MM I kind of agree. I'm afraid I may not have enough food. One year I carried too much and I don't want to do that. I'm generally not a big breakfast eater so that's the reason for just a few. Also I can use as backup meals if hungry. I love the foil packs of flavored tuna. I add mayonnaise, crackers, and even hot sauce I may add a couple more because they are not a lot of food nor do they take up much room. May throw more protein bars in as well. Rain gear is on the list. Gonna pick some up in St.Louis or Denver on the way out. Haven't found exactly what I'm looking for just yet. Thanks for the input.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
My food list each day is something like this. 2 pop tarts, 2 cliff bars, 1 foil pack tuna, 1 pack crackers, 1 mountain house dinner. Sometimes I mix single serve instant mashed potatoes in the mountain house and I have also cut mountain house in 1/2 and added potatoes to spread them out if I stay longer then I planned. I always like to have enough so I can stay 1 extra day comfortably if I need to. Ypu never know what could happen. You will burn alot more energy on a backpack hunt then you think you will and your body needs fuel to keep going.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
MM...The thing I've done that I like the most is 2 gas store hoagies the morning of the hike in. Those really give you something solid to eat and one will last a day in a pack not refrigerated. This is also my plan to have two of these. One for 1st day and one for 2nd day.
I like the instant mash potatoes trick. I have taken those along with the foil cooked chicken packs. Those make a great meal that sticks to the belly to. Sounds like you've got your system dialed in. Gonna be hard to find time to hunt with all this eating I'm gonna need to do. Haha. 13 days till I'm off.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
MM...The thing I've done that I like the most is 2 gas store hoagies the morning of the hike in. Those really give you something solid to eat and one will last a day in a pack not refrigerated. This is also my plan to have two of these. One for 1st day and one for 2nd day.
I like the instant mash potatoes trick. I have taken those along with the foil cooked chicken packs. Those make a great meal that sticks to the belly to. Sounds like you've got your system dialed in. Gonna be hard to find time to hunt with all this eating I'm gonna need to do. Haha. 13 days till I'm off.
Sometimes you got to multi task and hunt and eat at the same time! HAHA! That system was worked well for me. Sounds like you have a good plan too. Good Luck on your hunt and let us know how it goes!

Retterath

Veteran member
Dec 24, 2013
South Dakota
Yeah I think u are a little short on food, you will be burning more calories than u think so don't skimp on food you will need it to keep up your energy levels. Good luck

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Yeah I think u are a little short on food, you will be burning more calories than u think so don't skimp on food you will need it to keep up your energy levels. Good luck
I am gonna add some more protein bars and tuna along with the sandwiches for first two days. Thanks everyone for going over this. This was definitely my main concern. Think I will be ready now. Only thing left now is for me to get 'er done! Hopefully I can finall y close the deal.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I like the beef stroganoff, not a big fan of the chili mac either and never tried the lasagna. I have noticed some are alot heavier like the ones with alot of rice in them which can add up on a longer trip. I usually get whatever is cheaper at walmart which is usually the stroganoff. Aslong as it keeps me going I dont worry alot about how it tastes, Im there to hunt not for the food. lol I have been thinking about getting the cans of freeze dried meals and splitting them up into zip lock bags since it would be cheaper.