Outfitter or diy

DoubleTrouble

Apr 3, 2012
Best place to kill a representative bull? Not looking for a giant just a good representative animal? Any opinions? Currently have 4 points in Wyoming. Don't need a area just opinions.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Not to sound obvious..but you can kill a "representative" in any unit in the state...What have you looked at so far in your research? Do you want to go guided, wilderness, horseback style? do you prefer DIY?...With no knowledge of an area and the ability to go with an outfitter, your chances of being successful increase drastically..not saying you cant do it DIY, but thats the whole point of outfitters, they eat, sleep, and live in that area and know how the elk move. Do you prefer easier country, 4wd type hunt? ..Definitely try to narrow down what you are looking for, because that is a big broad subject. The more you know what you want, the better some of us can help point you in a direction to look

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
What kind of shape are you in, what state are your from and how what is your pride level?

DoubleTrouble

Apr 3, 2012
Iowa and good shape. I would shoot any representative bull I seen. Lots of experience with whitetail and antelope. However hunting mainly in the Midwest so not a lot of experience in large areas.

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
Elk hunting is the absolute complete opposite of whitetail and antelope. As said before an outfitter will increase your chances, but you can also help your DIY chances by getting into the area before hand and scouting yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FitToHunt

Not trying to sound like a smart-ass, but what do you mean by a "representative" bull?... To me, that means the average bull for any given area... For example, a representative bull for an OTC area in Colorado would be drastically different than a quality draw area in Arizona or Utah....

gypsumreaper

Mar 13, 2014
I'm guessing you prolly just answered your own question. He's gonna base his bull selection on the quality of the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk