OTC unit 70, 711 help

mwparson

Feb 21, 2021
i am looking at doing an OTC hunt in unit 70, 711 for second rifle this year. I am looking at all the stats and info i can find online, but the truth is, nothing beats real info from people that hunt and are willing to help a guys out with general info. I live in NM so scouting is not really an option for me so i have to scout online and with maps and stuff i find online. If anyone is willing to help with general info and post it or private message me it would be greatly appreciated. im not lookign for a honey hole, just a general idea of what areas to try to scout on my maps and online. Thank you in advance for letting me ask for your help.

Mike

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I live next to 711 and very near 70 and have hunted both units for deer & elk. They are separate tags altho 711 is combined with 71. Both are different types of country. I believe 711/71 offer more opportunity for otc success. Unit 70 has lots of pressure (as does 71/711) during archery, BP & ist rifle season and most of the elk move to private land (there is a lot in 70) where the hunting pressure is way less. 71/711 gets more pressure than 70 in the otc hunts for this exact reason. It will really be a tough hunt in either of you choices without scouting.

Let me know if you decide to apply for one of them and I'll offer some suggestions via PM.

Good luck!