Osprey Pack Rifle Sling Mod (Kifaru Gunslinger copy)

JReeves

Aug 7, 2013
Reno, NV
For the past three years I've been using Osprey packs for my backcountry hunts(deer). The first year I ran an Argon 85, and then last year downsized to a Atmos 50 for my 3-5 day setup. With this years antelope hunt I've opted to use the Atmos 50 as my "day pack" which will give me the volume to pack out the meat in one trip. I've also purchased a nice 40L dry sack pack liner that will work as a game bag to keep the pack clean. We'll be setting up a base camp and hiking out several miles from there every morning. In the past I had always just had the rifle sling thrown over the pack's shoulder straps. Anyone that's done this knows what a pain it is to keep the rifle in it's place, and requires at least one hand on the rifle at all times. I definitely got the motivation from all the positive reviews of the Kifaru Gunslinger. The difference being that mine is easily adjustable not only in ride height, but also in the area that the but stock rests, which allows a nice "tight" hold on any of my long-guns. I even managed to re-use some of the excess webbing from the waist strap so that it matches my Osprey...

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

It looks like I might have to make multiple posts to attach all the photos.

JReeves

Aug 7, 2013
Reno, NV
I had all of the webbing and buckles from some past projects, and it just so happened that I have about 20 of the quick release strap buckles that work perfect for the upper application. As a safety precaution(to prevent the rifle strap buckle from accidentally becoming disengaged and allowing the rifle to fall to the ground) I added a little portion of velcro to the free end of the strap that mates with a velcro piece on the body portion of the loop around the rifle. This means that even if I flip the buckle open accidentally, the velcro is more than strong enough to hold the rifle, as it pulls at a very linear angle. I can still shoulder the rifle from the sling in under three seconds. You simply grab the free end that is velcro'd down and give it a tug, this releases it from the velcro, and then releases the buckle and the free end slides through the buckle freeing the rifle. I added some small stick on velcro on the inside of the shoulder strap to keep the strap in place, and to keep it from falling to the ground when released. The patches are undetectable when wearing the pack with the strap is removed.

6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg11.jpg

Last edited:

JReeves

Aug 7, 2013
Reno, NV
And here are the final product. This is shown with the height adjustment at about center, meaning I could opt to lower the butt or raise the butt depending on the terrain and hiking position. The last picture also shows how the same sling allows the rifle to be securely strapped to the side of the pack using the factory Osprey webbing straps.

10.jpg13.jpg

Sorry for some many pictures, I just wanted to give you guys a detailed run-down!

Bwht4x4

Aug 29, 2012
I use the exact same pack, but did something a bit different. I used the existing straps and added one piece of velcro at the bottom so that I can carry it on the pack and not my shoulder. It works great and allows me to have my hands free to glass when I know I'm in a situation where I will spot game before they spot me. Also works well walking at night getting into a hunting spot and not wanting the hassle of the gun on your shoulder.

2013-08-18 11.34.08.jpg