Oryx on and off range

bowhuntrJLG

May 16, 2012
NM
Seeking intel on oryx. My wife and I hit the lottery this year. After years of applying we have an off range hunt in June and a badge hunt in Nov. I have some experiance off-range but none on base. I am not looking for someones honey hole, just seeking any additional info anyone might be willing to share on these two hunts. Seeking any advice anyone might be willing to give. No such thing as too much intel.

bowhuntrJLG

May 16, 2012
NM
my understanding is that with the Badge hunts we will not be limited to a specific range. Not 100% sure yet, but haven't heard anything different yet. As long as we are with our sponsor with us we can go to any range currently open (not closed due to military operations).

bowhuntrJLG

May 16, 2012
NM
I guess we have been assigned the Small Missle Range. Sponsor has been advised it is going to be a rough hunt. Not what we wanted to hear for an ONRANGE tag.

bowhuntrJLG

May 16, 2012
NM
Spent the last three and a half days roaming the desert looking for offrange oryx for a friend. Didn't get one... Not yet. Saw lots of others hunters and very few said they saw anything. Did find remains of two successful harvests however.
We did see two different groups of animals but had no shot opportunities. Very jumpy animals. First group had about 10 animals with some nice ones in it. We ran out of cover at 600 yards after crawling for 600 and couldn't get any closer. They later busted as we tried to reposition in the truck. They were right in the middle of a huge flat. At the second encounter with oryx two days later the animals busted immediately upon seeing the truck giving no chance for a shot.. This second group of five included two brownies and actually had two animals with absolutely nothing for horns! The other two adults couldn't have been more than 12" long. It was a fun time but a rough and hot hunt. Lots of glassing and driving. Put over 1000 miles on the truck, with 400 of that being on gravel and dirt. Will try again!