Oryx Hunt

chasingcoues

Jun 25, 2014
Have an opportunity to do an Oryx hunt in NM. Has anyone done one of these? Looking to understand a little more about what the hunt would be like.

Thanks!

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
I tagged along with a buddy on the Missile Range hunt. It was kind of a strange set up with the 2 day hunt and everyone racing out of the check in area. It is a fun hunt for a really cool critter other than that. He shot a pretty nice bull late the first afternoon. It would have been nice to not have the time crunch pressure.
They are a beautiful animal and excellent table-fare. The Missile Range hunt he went on was a Once-in-a-Lifetime hunt. If The ranch holds animals consistently and it's a reasonable deal, I'd say go for it. What a great opportunity to hunt an animal that a lot of people will never get the experience of pursuing.

chiefgobbler

Jun 26, 2011
Central California
I did the missile range hunt several years ago. It was almost canceled due to a major snow storm but I was able to hunt and killed a young bull. The time crunch along with the storm was a factor in shooting the bull I took. The hunt itself was similar to an antelope hunt. Drive and glass until you spot a herd then plan a stalk. Once pressured they run long distances similar to Elk. Be sure you study their kill zones before the hunt. Vitals are located a little different than Elk or Deer. More behind the shoulder. They are a tough animal so be ready for a follow-up shot if needed.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Chiefgobbler nailed it perfectly. Only thing I would add is being mentally prepared. You probably already know the price of the tag. Too much in my opinion for a 2 day hunt. I like to enjoy my hunts as a vacation. It was a long trip for me and I would have liked a little more time to take it all in. It's a run and gun hunt. Simply no time to be too picky. I wouldn't do it again but I also am glad I did it once.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti7

Aug 26, 2011
New Mexico
Landowner oryx tags are good for a month on private, deeded land though the landowner might further restrict how long you can hunt. I have done this on the Armendariz ranch. Tagged out the first day, but there was no question there was going to be oryx on that ranch. Off range oryx are not as plentiful as they used to be. I have a handful or rancher clients that used to get oryx LO tags but don't anymore because there just aren't that many oryx moving through their property. I would make sure that there are some oryx to chase before I spent that much in non-res license fees. That meat is awesome.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Did the on range hunt a few years back.

Like others have said, the bummer part of the whole deal is the fact you only get 2-2.5 days total to hunt. It really is a high pressure hunt, that, IMO, wouldn't have to be. Even 3-4 full hunting days would sure make that hunt a lot more enjoyable.

When I drew, I avoided the areas that most other people hunted from some good advice from a friend that had drawn the tag previously.

Another mistake I made, the first full day of hunting I stalked into decent rifle range of a herd of about 15 or so. When I got there, I had a heck of time sorting out the one I wanted. Longer story short, they ended up seeing me while I was glassing them to make sure I was going to get the one I wanted. Once they spook, its game over...they run for a long, long way.

My buddy shot this one the first afternoon (the half day of hunting):

I killed this one the last morning: