Oregon national Forest elk

Three Dogs

Dec 28, 2020
Hey there. My son drew a cow elk tag for Santiam. We have until about the end of March I believe. I cannot quite remember the rules about antlers and national Forest land.

I scoured the regulations but couldn’t find what I was looking for. I believe national Forest land is three-point or better for elk? I’m just trying to confirm whether this is the case. And if it would apply if you pull a cow tag.

Thanks in advance, and when I’m sitting at a better keyboard I will do a new member intro.

Three Dogs

Dec 28, 2020
Cow tag is for cow only, you cannot shoot a bull of any size.
I understand that. What I have heard is that national forest has different rules for hunting elk versus private land: Such as if you do have a tag there is a minimum number of antlers points the elk has to have. So my question is does this rule negate the ability to hunt cow elk on national Forest land in Oregon.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I find it odd that anyone would even put in for a tag without knowing the rules in advance???

but that's just me. good luck to your son!

Three Dogs

Dec 28, 2020
What tag does he have? There are a lot of different tags with different rules. Is it a youth tag?
You're right. I finally called ODFW. It's just a rule specific to certain tags. Doesn't apply to my son's tag. For example, muzzle loader elk 200 series Cascades: One elk outside all USFS lands. One bull inside all USFS lands. So we're good to go for a cow inside all of the Santiam unit with our tag.

Reactions: Bonecollector

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
a whole bunch of santiam burnt big time this fall,,1 million + acres,,tons of area is still closed,,good luck

Three Dogs

Dec 28, 2020
a whole bunch of santiam burnt big time this fall,,1 million + acres,,tons of area is still closed,,good luck
True that. We have a walk in Weyerhaeuser permit. But that doesn’t really get very far to finding a herd of elk.

i’m thinking of hitting up some private property owners where I have seen some herds. Never done that before, kind of awkward.

This could be the last hunt in a long time with my son. He’s joining the Marines in the spring.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Depending on when the burn happened and if you can hunt the fringes of it that is right where I would be.

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
I would be looking for elk tracks in the snow. I used to hunt for cow elk back when it was a secondary archery hunt if you didn’t kill a bull in September. I hunted Marion forks area and usually found elk pretty close to the Hwy.(none of that burned last summer) I haven’t hunted there since ODFW made it a draw hunt roughly 15 years ago so take it for what it’s worth.

Last edited:

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
a while back,,year or 2 ago, i seen a herd off of 211 and dohoogie rd between colton and meadow brook on pvt right on north end of santiam unit if that helps any.

Reactions: Three Dogs

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
I had to drive to the valley this morning. I drove up the road a few miles where I used to find elk and I’ll be damn, I saw a cow and a calf.

Reactions: Three Dogs