Oregon/Canada Vacation Ideas

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
Thinking about possibly planning a vacation this fall to Oregon to possibly do some hiking at Crater Lake National Park and a few other things in the area. Or possibly to Canada to do the same at Banff National Park in Canada. Anyone have any thoughts or input on either or both of these possibilities? As always, thanks guys for the help. Luke

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
Crater lake is a one day event. If I was vacationing in Oregon I'd go to north east Oregon to Joseph hike the eagle caps and check out hells canyon hat point lookout. Take a jet boat ride on the snake river.

In western Oregon Silver falls is nice and a lot of people like the beach. Newport is a nice town.

Reactions: mustang8

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Can't help you much but remember that if you want to enter Canada now everyone needs a passport. It doesn't need to be the standard one but the one the size of a credit card will work.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
The Bend area in Oregon will fit into your Crater Lake plans as well, go see the high desert museum hike the cinder cones. Lots of breweries in Bend. Klamath Falls has lots of history close by Lava beds national monument and the Tule Lake internment camp. Go fishing in the high lakes even Crater Lake has fishing . Odell lake has macs and kokanee. Fall run of salmon on the Rouge

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Hell's Canyon is a must! If your looking for something a little different not to far away from there is John Day Fossil Beds just to the West.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
My wife is from eastern Washington, so we get out to that area almost every year to visit her extended family. She has always wanted to see Crater Lake, and we finally did that a couple years ago, bringing along our granddaughters. It was near the top of our list of all the N.P.s that we have visited. The most interesting thing that I remember from that trip is that they have a display in the park museum of some sage brush sandals that were buried when the mountain blew up over 11,000 years ago. That was definitive proof that someone actually saw Crater Lake as it exploded. Of course it is doubtful that they would have survived the event, but maybe we can find where they hid the video.
We went on to the Oregon coast afterwards, and did some beach coming, camping, and exploring. A charter fishing trip will be included next time around. Have fun seeing our great country.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I am just going to throw this out here, Oregons mountains can not compare to BC\Alberta
if going to Banff, you will have lots of tourist, but the waterfalls parkway up towards jasper is an incredbible place.
Me personally the Kootenays of BC are where it is at.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
If your driving you could do Hells Canyon and Crater Lake in a few days. Lots of cool stuff to see in between them also.

idcwby

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Medford would get you there but might cost a pretty penny, Portland would leave you about a 5 hour drive to crater lake same with Reno or Sacramento but would cut your costs down. If you can you might think of flying into Reno and leaving out of Portland so you can cover more country and hit way more thing to see.

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
Honestly i checked into lights and to fly direct from Minneapolis to Medford was only $330 round trip, i thought that was pretty dam cheap!