Oregon Blacktail question

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum but not new to hunting. I've been applying for Elk and deer for a couple of years in Oregon trying to build points for the future and I was just wondering if you burn your points by getting a centerfire western deer permit. I know you can get those every year without drawing so I was just curious. I love hunting big Mulies but those blacktails look fun (and tough) to hunt as well. Just wondering what my options were without having to pour over the regulations booklet.

Thanks in advance

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I live in western Oregon, and hunt out of state every year. In 2009 with 16 points built up, I could draw any mule deer hunt in the state, and could have for several years. I kept waiting for some new special hunt to be opened (like a late rifle hunt in a prime unit), and it never happened. I finally decided none of the mule deer hunts were worth the points and burned them on a late Blacktail hunt. Now my strategy is to use my points to only hunt blacktails in Oregon, although this year, I will use them on a Columbia Whitetail, because I have never shot a whitetail buck, and I have access to prime private land.

There are FAR FAR better mule deer states. Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Montana, Wyoming all have better mule deer hunting. I think Oregon should be thought of as a blacktail state.

The best blacktail hunts are the rut hunts, with dates near Thanksgiving being the best. To hunt these dates, there are draw muzzleloader hunts, draw rifle hunst (only one worth doing that I am aware of), and OTC archery.

Even rut hunting for Blacktails I thing is far more difficult than most other Western hunting.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Welcome Alabama, you do not loose your points if you buy an OTC Blacktail tag. There ia a late muzzy hunt for Blacktail that takes points to draw, but most Blacktail hunting is OTC.
I also wonder why Oregon to build Mule deer and elk points, we don't have the very good hunting for those critters and for a non res the very few good hunts we do have take decades of points to draw, FYI.
If you continue to apply for Mule deer there is a second choice hunt you may want to consider. It is the High Cascade rifle hunt 119A. It is an early season, mid September, deer hunt. You are mostly hunting Mule Deer/Blacktail hybrids with this tag, there are some full blood Mulies too, and some big ones! 119A is about a 50% chance of drawing as a second choice hunt without loosing your points. Success rate is low but if you don't fill the tag in September you can use it for a general season Blacktail tag. I killed this buck on that tag in September '10

Cascade Buck.jpg

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Not intentionally building points for deer and elk in Oregon but you have to buy the license to apply for bighorn sheep so why not spend an extra 16 dollars to build points for them. I saw some bighorns in Wyoming in 2010 and have been hit with the sheep bug bad! It is definitely a curse cause of the draw odds but what can you do. I've taken some nice mulies in Nebraska and Wyoming but only building points for elk so far. With the cost of applying, buying bonus and preference points for elk, deer, sheep, moose, and goats in Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Nevada I probably won't be able to hunt them if i draw the tag!

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Just a thought, but if the reason you buy the Oregon hunting license is to apply for sheep, you can probably make a better investment saving that money for a sure thing, a guided hunt. If you are already buying the non-resident hunting license for something else, it certainly makes sense to throw in the $8 for a sheep application.

Here's where I am coming from:

The price of the non-resident license is $140.50, the application fee is $8 for a total investment of $148.50. Last year there were 2325 applicants for a total of 7 non resident tags. That means the average draw odds were 1 in 332. If you take 332 and multiply by the total cost to apply ($148.50) it comes out to be.......

$49,302.

A guy can save his money, book a guided dall sheep hunt and go hunting for a third of that.

I always do the exercise above when I apply for out of state tags to make sure the investment makes financial sense, or it's just better to save up, buy the a hunt and go hunting.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
I understand where you are coming from on that Umpqua. I do intend to hunt dall sheep in the next 2-3 years (Alaska) as I can't hunt them without a guide as a non resident in Alaska or Canada. But I want to hunt California or Rocky Mountain and Desert Bighorns in the lower 48. I will never be able to afford a stone sheep, Cali BH or RM BH hunt in Canada. Or a Desert BH in Mexico. I'm 32 and only have 2 points for sheep in WY, UT, NV, CO, WS, and AZ. obviously no points in NM, ID, and OR and too far behind for CA. What's the likelihood of a 3/4 slam before I'm 50? Wow sorry guys it seems when I start talking about hunting it turns to sheep lol. Thanks for the info guys I just threw in the extra 16 bucks the last 2 years for points because I would have thought it took points to draw Roosevelt Elk and Blacktail deer tags. I didn't really read the regs that closely except for the sheep section. After pouring over the regs in 8-9 states I feel like I've got smoke coming out of my ears by early May

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Now that I understand why you are building points, I have another suggestion for you. Don't apply for anything in Oregon, just buy raffle tickets for the statewide sheep hunt.

For about $150 you can buy 19 raffle tickets, last year there were 5381 tickets sold thats 1:283 chance of drawing the tag. Thats better odds than most controlled hunts, not to mention the season includes all units open to sheep hunting in the state, and the season is almost 3 months long.

If you ever want to hunt Blacktail or Rosevelt Elk just buy a liscense and tag and go. You can wait till the day before season to buy them.

Last edited:

erum

Nov 3, 2013
Now this one has really perked my interest. I try to keep track of the bucks wanting to be 8pts as yearlings, but it's a pain to do when they make the jump to 2.