Ordered New Sleeping Pad

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
My Neoair I've had for sometime is starting to lose some air. I saw Sea to Summit had the Ether light pad on sale. I know there a little heavier than the Neoair, but they get great reviews and are 4in thick. There also suppose to be quiet and have a very good R value.

I really prefer getting a good nights sleep in the backcountry even thought sometimes those elk keep me awake screaming all night. I guess it's a good problem to have! :)

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Will you share your feedback once you get some time on it?

For lightweight backpacking, typically spiking in or short trips, I use an Outdoorsman Labs. It looks just like the Sea to Summit although it's only 1.5" thick. It's lighter, though - it weighs just 16oz and is reasonably comfortable in most weather but can be uncomfortable on either rough terrain (it's EXACTLY my size so it's easy to slide off) or very cold weather. It definitely holds air, though, and it inflates in just 10 good breaths.

For longer trips or colder weather I use a Trekology, which is actually cheaper and thicker (3") but also heavier (24oz not including the dry sack which doubles as an inflation pump - I leave that at home to save the 2 ounces it costs). This is super comfortable if you don't mind the extra 8oz.

I'd be very interested in your experience. The Sea to Summit looks nice but is 4x the price of other options and it's actually a bit heavier. I'm wondering if it's worth the $...

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I'll let you know once it shows up. The one I purchased only weighs a little over 19oz's. The regular price is over $219 it was on sale and I paid $164. The stuff sack is used to inflate it. IMO the comfort justifies the cost.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I also try to watch my carry weight. But I also take in to consideration whether I’m packing in for 5-6 days to one spot or if I’ll be packing up and moving camp daily which could cause me to consider weight...
Keep us posted on your findings Max.

Reactions: marcusvdk

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
if I am hiking and moving a lot ,I am sleeping good,wether it be on feather pillers or cactus.