Orange Theory Fitness

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Been doing the workouts for a couple months now and I really like them.

It's high intensity interval training rotating between treadmill, rowing machine and floor exercises with bodyweight or light dumbells. You wear a heart rate monitor and it keeps track of how many minutes you are spending in each zone and your total calorie burn.

Class is an hour long. I am burning between 900-1000 calories on average in 55-58 minutes. It is simply the best workout I have ever done as far as efficient output.

Still need to do something supplemental for endurance training or building muscle, but it is a great option if you are looking for something else to try.

I like the fact that nothing is heavy, have heard of a lot of crossfit injuries from people going heavy.

hoshour

Veteran member
What do you use to track your calorie burn?

I got what was supposedly the best Fit Bit and I think it was wildly too high on calories burned. It's hard for me to believe I was burning well over 1,000 calories in a 50-60 minute intense workout. Doing that 3-4 days a week I was dropping no weight, hence my skepticism.

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
Wow, this is a wide open topic here.......as I believe I have mentioned in a prior post, orange theory is a decent option for mixing up the workouts and providing a different stimulus and I commend you on taking the step to improve your fitness. Not a fan of cross fit myself. As anything else, as time goes on your body adapts and as it does, the results will be less and less. This includes calories burned being less and less with those adaptations. In other words, week 1 workout will likely burn more calories than that same workout in week 10 as a result of improvements and efficiency in the body. The key is constantly manipulating the variables of the workout to continue to increase efficiency.

Be careful with any product claiming to count calories, there are simple too many variables affecting accuracy and are typically overestimating. Most studies show overestimation by anywhere from 9 or 10% up to 25%. Unless you are in a lab with an ekg or measuring oxygen exchange, guessing close is all we can hope for......

To your point hoshour, unless your eating 3-4000 calories more per week, you should have lost a pound a week. 3500 calories equates to one pound.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Any exercise is better that sitting on the couch eating chips. I don't believe in any of the "fitness craze of the month programs". There is always someone claining to have the best and fastest way to get fit. Most of them are unsustainable in the long run. You notice there are NEVER any fat people in the commercials.
Plain old exercise that works your entire body and some weight training on a regular basis and smart eating choices will help you more than the latest craze.
Just my .02 worth.