Opinions Please- Archery Deer & Elk in Magic Valley Region

Spudman

Jun 12, 2017
Idaho
Hello Everyone:

I have recently moved to Rupert, Idaho and am researching a few different units in the Magic Valley region for archery hunting deer and elk this September. I have been to the ID F&G website and I have the stats on the units I am looking at. I have called the population biologist and spoke with him, but he gave very vague answers to my questions. I am aware of the public vs private and have maps on order for several units. I have been on several archery hunts in the past and have taken a few deer, no elk (I'm from AZ, elk tags are hard to get).

My question is "If you were in my shoes, would you go north or south"? Sun Valley area vs South Hills? Not looking for honey holes, GPS coordinates or anything like that. I am simply seeking opinions from people who have been in these areas and what they have seen as far as game populations and "typical" quality to help me narrow down a "home unit". I know that OTC units aren't typically "trophy" units, but can produce a quality buck or bull from time to time. I will have A LOT of time in July to scout units and get boots on the ground to find animals. I'm comfortable in moderate open country as well as steep terrain and prefer to pack in away from the crowds.

I appreciate any feed back and thank you in advance in helping me narrow my search so I can pick a unit to concentrate my scouting efforts.

BTW...I know several AZ units very well for elk, mule deer, coues deer and javelina and will gladly help anyone who wants to hunt AZ!

Thanks again.

Spudman

Jun 12, 2017
Idaho
theleo91386...that's what I've heard...thanks for the reply! I think I've narrowed it down to 2 units right now. Thanks again!