OnXmaps-Public vs. Private

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
[video=youtube;5ysmOc7piPY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ysmOc7piPY[/video]

For all the OnXmaps conversation, here you guys go.

Murdy

Dec 13, 2011
North-Central Illinois
Bought and used my first one this spring (Wisconsin), helped me kill a public-land gobbler near a poorly marked boundary. Very impressed. Bought the Wyoming chip since

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I'm really looking forward to using mine this year. So I have a question.

Do I just put the chip into my laptop and it will just load the maps in to a file that I can open? Or do I need to download drivers from the website first?

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa

Do I just put the chip into my laptop and it will just load the maps in to a file that I can open? Or do I need to download drivers from the website first?
I have the same question. I was trying to look at my WY chip on my laptop but truthfully I was worried I would do something wrong and erase the chip or something so I didnt try it anymore.

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky

Just download Garmin base camp. Then insert your chip. Then (when the chip is in the computer) every time you open basecamp, your data/map is right there. And you can also toggle between your map, and Google earth. Click "view" in Garmin BC and at the bottom of that menu click Google earth. It will automatically flip over to Google earth and zoom to where you are on your onyx map at the time.

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
Also, onyx has a good video showing you how to make a way point in Google earth, and transfer it over to your chip/map. Kmz files they're called. Fun stuff!!

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I just leave the chip in my gps and use a usb cord. No need to take out the chip to use on the computer. You do need the Garmin basecamp software. Really nice to see the chip on the big screen good stuff and very detailed. You can also overlay it on a satilite image if you have that on the GPS. I pull up all my marks from year to year to see patterns over the years.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
are these the same gps chips that where out a few years back called huntgps? same product, different name?

thanks

tim

luckynv

Aug 3, 2014
Henderson, Nv
are these the same gps chips that where out a few years back called huntgps? same product, different name?

thanks

tim
Hey tim, these used to be called huntinggpsmaps, so yes. Thanks to all you other guys great info for us technically challenged!!! God bless

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I will be the first to admit, I don't really know how to use a gps. But I bought an garmin Oregon a couple of years ago, and the micro sd card from huntinggps. I came across some guys that where wondering where the unit boundary was. I turned on the gps and was able to tell them, the top of the ridge was the boundary. pretty cool feature, having the unit boundaries on the micro sd card.

Now if I could just get the desire to learn the tool.