On or Off Nat Forest

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
Wondering what Wyoming means when they state "Cow or calf valid off national forest", so you must hunt something Not on Nat Forest or Off of Nat Forest as in on Nat Forest. Seems like they could word this in a way that isn't confusing. Thanks for the info fellas. Luke

theddguide

Mar 31, 2016
Not allowed to hunt it when it says off national forest. Other tags may say valid in the entire area.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Not hard, you can not hunt on NF, that means state lands, BLM or private land with permission is open for your tag. The only exclusion listed is off of NF land. May be a HMA , walk in area, or a WHMA you can hunt as well. Check the public access page on the G&F website.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Hi Luke - same thing happened to me the first year I hunted WY. I asked the GW about the whole "valid off" and he acted like I was nuts for being confused and asking for clarification. They could at least have a description that says "valid on" to counteract the whole thing.

The doe/cow being "valid off public land" means that they can not be taken while on public land but must be on private.

"Where did you shoot the deer?" - "I got it over there off that public land." Would have to be interpreted as you shot it on private near the public land. LOL!

Reactions: shootbrownelk

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Saying valid off national forest is much easier than saying valid only for BLM, state, private, HMA, WIA, etc... Pretty easy- hunt anywhere off of National Forest designated land.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
Years ago, the regs for deer hunting in the Black Hills said you could hunt either sex "off national forest" and bucks only "on national forest". We took advantage of that and hunted does on state land located within the boundaries of the national forest. They have now changed the wording to say "on private land" versus "off private land". Read your regulations carefully!

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
Saying valid off national forest is much easier than saying valid only for BLM, state, private, HMA, WIA, etc... Pretty easy- hunt anywhere off of National Forest designated land.
I totally understand what your saying but they leave the word OF out of that statement, if it was included it would be a non question.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
Going to make it more confusing. In Idaho they use the term" outside the National Forest boundry. This includes State land, BLM and private inside of the boundry of the National forest. So those pockets inside the boundry are off limits when the forest is also.